Travelling Screens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteN

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
3 plus 1 nuc
I need to make a couple of travelling screens, What is the best mesh (cheapest) to get, and any ideas of where to get it.
I have been looking at the standard garden insect mesh, seems to be wasp proof is this OK?

I bought some 300mm square offcuts from Th*rne in the winter sale.

Could raid the local metal merchant's skip.

An old fireguard (car boot)

An old seive (auctions)

A spare varroa mesh floor.

More important to be bee proof, not wasp proof.

Cheapest is free (as long as you don't have to travel far to get it).

Nothing special, don't need to be full size of hive (as long as the frame is!).

I use a spare varroa floor mesh most of the time.

Your standard garden mesh would be OK.

Enough inspiration?

Regards, RAB

The ones I have from Thornes look very much like the netting from a diy store you can buy on a roll.

The mesh I was looking at does seem the same as would be seen in the major DIY outlets. Another point I meant to ask was does this screen have to respect bee space, and what is the ideal size timber size. I gather from the comment above on the size that the frames can be bigger thus reducing the amount of mesh used.
Am I right in assuming that this screen does not stay on for that long so frame could be any softwood that will do the job.

Yes anything will do.
How far do you plan to move the hives?

For 6 miles you should not need screens.
I did a move last summer at 6pm from Alton to Chandlers ford and the bees were fine in a WBC with a bit of foam pipe lagging in the entrance.

I did wonder at that, however as these will be my first bees I am really following the belt and braces formula.

Go into your user "control panel" and upload a pic from your computer or point to the picture url online.

I did wonder at that, however as these will be my first bees I am really following the belt and braces formula.

You are doing the right thing following golden rules.
Do eveything by the book and then experiment once you have the experience :cheers2:

Woops apoliogies for the double send, thought I had not hit SEND, a grey moment!!

Thanks for advice on Avatar I had just clicked on the bee in the control page and had expected something to appear.

Will give it ago.

Further to the conversation regarding screens. Had two metres of the mesh shown of the MeshUK site arrive. Good guality and more than enough for a lot of screens. Service was superb only ordedred it Thursday and it arrived yesterday.

I only last night ordered two metres of insect mesh from meshuk.co.uk, pvc coated woven polyester and the cheaper pvc coated glass fibre. Intended use is for OMF or travelling screens for nucs.
The price for aluminium mesh is marginally cheaper than the polyester. Quite a useful site.

Definitely please with what I got from them. Was going to see how it might be ok for IMF.

Sat in the garden typing this WIFI stretches out here. Watching the girls very busy, can't get much better.

Latest posts

Back