Transporting Smoker Between Apiaries

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a lot of shower caps, I have 13 apiaries to cover and that's already 13 pairs of nitrile gloves! 😊
It is a lot, but better than spreading efb to all your apiaries.

We got efb at a new apiary several years ago and if SWMBO had not been so hygiene conscious we could have spread it to all our apiaries.

It is a lot, but better than spreading efb to all your apiaries.

We got efb at a new apiary several years ago and if SWMBO had not been so hygiene conscious we could have spread it to all our apiaries.
Simple to carry a bucket with a sealed lid, containing a 5% red label dairy bleach mix with added washing soda.
Every tool, smoker etc used gets washed down...tools live in the solution. Change regularly!
I get through a pair of "marrigolds" per apiary site.. but bought in bulk cost less than 40 p so disposable!

My smoker stays alight all day long in an Abello box... by the time I have driven to Bogies in Plymouth, wasted half the day hunting for a box... which is in there somewhere matey!.. and spent £2.50 on the ferry and a 70 mile round trip £50 looks sensible!!

Chons da

Abelo do a smoker box if you have £48 laying around.

I've had one of these for ages, one of the best bits of kit I own. Stops the car smelling of smoke and you don't have to worry it's still burning in the back of your motor.

I've had one of these for ages, one of the best bits of kit I own. Stops the car smelling of smoke and you don't have to worry it's still burning in the back of your motor.
OR burning it ... ask Oliver 90 Owner!

We have an abelo box as well, the smoker stays lit if you don't have too large a distance between apiaries.

We leave a bucket of washing soda at each apiary, do you need to add bleach as well Apple?

We have an abelo box as well, the smoker stays lit if you don't have too large a distance between apiaries.

We leave a bucket of washing soda at each apiary, do you need to add bleach as well Apple?
I do... the hot stuff from Mole Valley, only sell it to "farmers"
SBI said "they " were not allowed to mix the chems!

Easiest and legal route is online, Hugh, but I found (post 14) that ammo box and smoker sizes were incompatible. Where did you find your box and what was the size spec?
Mine is an old US army box. Less then knee high and just wider then the smoker. Lid clips that synth it down air tight. They had hundreds of the things at a place near derby.
This looks like the same one:
ammo.jpeg

Latest posts

Back