Transporting Smoker Between Apiaries

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwt_uk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,

I have two apiary locations for the first time this year. What is the best method of transporting a hot smoker between apiaries? Metal box, metal bucket etc?

Thanks

I have a metal bulkhead between the cargo and seats in my van. I cut a 400x300 hole in it at roof level to enable me to be able to carry long sections of wood etc. I use this to hang my smoker on after stopping up the spout.

Locally on my bike I just plonk it in the pannier, said panier does have 3 or 4 small burn holes now.

Last edited:
Leave mine lit on the end of my caddy smoking away in the back of my truck. I love how people react to seeing smoke, it does lighten my load sometimes :)

Leave mine lit on the end of my caddy smoking away in the back of my truck. I love how people react to seeing smoke, it does lighten my load sometimes :)
Remember once, I had the SBI with me doing a few apiaries where 2 vehicles would have been a PITA so she came in my truck - two lit smokers sat in the rear tub with the window cracked open - I noticed after a while that our huntsman was following me, flashing his lights and waving - I thought he had a message or needed money for something at the kennels, I stopped and he ran up 'Ithink you're on fire man!

Would one of these do?

Had a look at these and the sizes are not convenient. A standard smoker needs about 280x280x130mm and even a bigger .50 cal. ammo box is only 325x175x220mm.

GZ-sales sell a variety of sizes including mortar boxes which would be ideal even for the tall Dadant but of course, they're out of stock; I've messaged to ask whether they'll get more in.

Had a look at these and the sizes are not convenient. A standard smoker needs about 280x280x130mm and even a bigger .50 cal. ammo box is only 325x175x220mm.

GZ-sales sell a variety of sizes including mortar boxes which would be ideal even for the tall Dadant but of course, they're out of stock; I've messaged to ask whether they'll get more in.
Yes I found the same when I was looking to use them for storing a smoker at all of my apiaries. Just a little too tight to get most smokers in.

get to your local ex army supplies. They sell ammo boxes. Take your smoker to try out the sizes.
Mine stays lit in it for ages in there, but no smell in the car. Ammo box doubles up as a seat.

Simple buy a second smoker, i have three apiaries all with their own smoker. A smoker is relatively cheap, but is great way to move disease between them. I even put gaffer tape both sides so either during the season or at least at the end of each season it gets peeled off, where your fingers touch it. Remember it is beekeepers that move most disease between apiaries. So I have a separate set of tools for each apiary, sure it costs a little more but from a disease prevention basis what would it cost you if you moved EFB from one place to another without knowing it.

Simple buy a second smoker, i have three apiaries all with their own smoker. A smoker is relatively cheap, but is great way to move disease between them. I even put gaffer tape both sides so either during the season or at least at the end of each season it gets peeled off, where your fingers touch it. Remember it is beekeepers that move most disease between apiaries. So I have a separate set of tools for each apiary, sure it costs a little more but from a disease prevention basis what would it cost you if you moved EFB from one place to another without knowing it.
I agree, I have decided to do this this year as I have many apiaries to visit that belong to my clients and have had EFB warnings from the NBU at 2 of them. I have made a couple of boxes/stands to store smokers etc in on each site. What do you store your smokers in on site?

I agree, I have decided to do this this year as I have many apiaries to visit that belong to my clients and have had EFB warnings from the NBU at 2 of them. I have made a couple of boxes/stands to store smokers etc in on each site. What do you store your smokers in on site?
Just do as most SBI's do - use disposable shower caps over the bellows, change at each apiary

Latest posts

Back