Transferring nuc to brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I know this is a fundamental question and I have searched the internet and this forum for previous answers, but no luck. Early next week I will be transferring a five frame nuc in to an 11 frame BB (WBC with open mesh floor). Do I (1) put the five frames to one side of the BB, add a couple of frames of foundation and then a dummy board. or (2) put the five frames in the middle of the BB and fill the rest of the BB with foundation? Hooper recommends (1) but I have read other books that say (2) is not a problem. Can you tell me the pros and cons please. Oh, and by the way I am aware that the answer to most beekeeping questions starts with 'it depends'.:confused:

I would put them in a position so that they had a frame of foundation on both sides - so that they can draw two at a time. Apart from that, physical location doesn't really matter, but I would guide the brood nest to the centre, as that is where it needs to be for winter, surrounded by stores frames.

I can think of a real disadvantage either way, apart from possibly the inability to draw multiple frames in parallel.

When I go my first nuc, I was advised to put the nuc frames in the middle with foundation either side and when the bees had drawn out the 2 outside frames, put another BB on top with more foundation in. Once you get 10 drawn frames, put them together in one BB and then add a QX and super.

I havent compared this with any other method, but it seemed to work - except that as I got the nuc at the end of the summer, it was too late in the season to get a super on.

I put them to one side of the brood box....they can then put all there effort into working one way..instead of a small nuc trying to work on two fronts.
Not the best idea i've heard using two brood box's to install a nuc,especially in late march or early april.....cold and a lot of vain space to heat.

That is one of the worst ideas for nucs I have come across. Ok it worked but one has to generalise and not specify.

Nucs are baby colonies and to double up their space is not doing them any favours.

I was taught not to super until 8 or 9 frames of brood.

What is NOT being taught here is now to work the brood box. When there are 6+ frames of brood it is a case of putting a frame in the middle of the brood. There is little risk to this and a lot less than turning the outside frames to shift the inner side to the outer coldness as it were.

Only when colony is not only up to a state of 8+ frames of brood and has a thick covering of bees should supering be attempted.

PH

Polyhive - some curious questions if I may:

Interesting about 1 frame in the middle, does that not interfere with the brood pattern at all?

Also why only 1 frame and not 2? Is it a case of the bees can build the foundation from either side at a good speed with only 1 frame?

One is enough. It "splits" the brood nest but not too much and they seem to cope with it just fine. I would not use more as it is pushing a small colony too far.

I have used two but that iwth a poly Smith hive that held 12 frames, and at 8 or 9 frames they could cope with the two frames as plus ones added in. Howeer they were a full blown colony and so a different situation.

Nucs, one at a time. To ease it further you can take an outer frame with brood on one side and add that one in to the middle so thay they just have one side to work at.

PH

Good post PH - I bet very few beeks "work" the brood nest.
:cheers2: Mike

Indeed.

Bernard gave a very technical lecture once on working the brood box, and after two worthies were over heard.

"Humph." said one.

"Aye." Said tother.

"Niver been in the brood box in ma life...."

Grins.

PH

I think we've gone off on a tangent here (maybe two). I'm not asking about when to super, or splitting the brood, but how to install a nuc. What's the best way in your esteemd beekeeping opinion?

That is one of the worst ideas for nucs I have come across. Ok it worked but one has to generalise and not specify.

Nucs are baby colonies and to double up their space is not doing them any favours.

I was taught not to super until 8 or 9 frames of brood.

What is NOT being taught here is now to work the brood box. When there are 6+ frames of brood it is a case of putting a frame in the middle of the brood. There is little risk to this and a lot less than turning the outside frames to shift the inner side to the outer coldness as it were.

Only when colony is not only up to a state of 8+ frames of brood and has a thick covering of bees should supering be attempted.

I rather thought I had.

If it is not so clear then put a fame of foundation next to the hive wall, put in the nuc frames, then the rest of the frames with foundation if that is all you have.

Clear enough?

PH

PH

PH

I probably got it wrong then! I have a problem with my attention span, so miss great big chunks of what people are saying.
I used to work with a dyslexic, so as far as poor communication was concened, we had it covered.

but I would guide the brood nest to the centre, as that is where it needs to be for winter, surrounded by stores frames.

I'd disagree with that, I've known colonies to work their way from the centre, over to one side then be stranded there clustered in cold weather and starve to death.

I prefer to make sure they start against one side of the brood in winter, and that way they can work their way across the brood box, without having to find their way back across a half empty brood box to find the other half of their stores (if that makes any sense?)

I also tend to install nucs against one side of the BB or maybe as PH says with one frame of foundation between them and the BB wall.

I'd disagree with that, I've known colonies to work their way from the centre, over to one side then be stranded there clustered in cold weather and starve to death.

Agreed.

Check your prevailing wind direction before making a decision such as this!

Back