Transferring bees from keiler mating nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dto001

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all,
I hope everyone is keeping safe. Does anyone have an easy way of transferring bees from a keiler mating nuc to a national nuc/hive?
I had a queen in a keiler nuc from last year which I thought was dead but found she was doing very well at the end of the year but I had no extra gear at the time so I left her and now they are bursting with bees but I have no idea how to transfer them to a national nuc due to the frame size difference? There is also brood which I would like to save if possible

Cheers

Just unite with paper. Place paper over bb add qx to hold paper remove slider sit the nuc on top of paper above main cluster area. Only issue with that is bees can exit from the gap on the floor without chewing paper. I prefer rigid card a couple of inches bigger than nuc with a section cut out the middle corresponding to about 2/3rds the nuc add paper with some tape to cover hole in card a few pin pricks and simply place on top of top bars, invert like turning out a cake. Not forgetting to close the slider on bottom.

Just unite with paper. Place paper over bb add qx to hold paper remove slider sit the nuc on top of paper above main cluster area. Only issue with that is bees can exit from the gap on the floor without chewing paper. I prefer rigid card a couple of inches bigger than nuc with a section cut out the middle corresponding to about 2/3rds the nuc add paper with some tape to cover hole in card a few pin pricks and simply place on top of top bars, invert like turning out a cake. Not forgetting to close the slider on bottom.
I think the OP is talking of putting the bees from the Kieler into an empty nuc?

I think the OP is talking of putting the bees from the Kieler into an empty nuc?
Thks thought he meant to unite. IMO better off unite to even a couple of frames stolen from another hive. They’ll build up far faster. It’s what I’ve done late autumn with the last batch or if I did winter some in spring, and it’ll save the brood.

I have done it.
Basically you take national frames with foundation (drawn is better) and cut out a space in foundation so you can move each Kieler frame into the middle of a National frame by attaching the K frame to the under of the N to bar using cable ties.

Best done in warm weather in a flow- or feed them - .

You will have to dummy down the National to how ever many frames you have transferred.

Cheers all Sorry I might not have been very clear yes I want to move the bees to an empty nuc and let it build up. I'll wait until it gets warmer and I'll cable tie the frames to national frames.
thanks again

I experimented with this idea a lot a few years ago but the success/effort ratio never seemed to pay off. Not saying it doesn't work because I've seen that it can. Another twist which will make a straight transfer much easier on the bees is to first move them to a mini plus hive and then make a final move to the national nuc. An extra step but the bees will thank you for it and, I reckon, you'll actually save time in the long run.

Personally I'd wait (if they'll stand the delay) till cell's are ready, introduce the Queen to a bs nuc and split the mating nuc and add new cells.... but it's easy from a distance and I can well understand your wish to see this process through to the end that you've visualised. Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi entirely up to you how you want to proceed, but if you wish for the nuc to develop into a honey producing hive for this season consider the unite option. Making up a nuc with a frame of food and bees plus a couple of frames of emerging brood with bees will give them a huge boost. You should have a decent hive by the time the main flow arrives. I suppose there is a small risk with any introduction. Ian

Back