Transferring a nuc to a hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Simple question really…should the frames from the nuc go into the middle of the hive or all at one side? I’ve seen it done both ways so not sure if it matters…

Make sure brood frames are a lined with the front door particularly later in the season.

Thanks, I I guess it’s the same when transferring a caught swarm into a hive too

My colony was a nuc that I bought about 3 weeks ago. I moved it into the hive, in my garden, 2 weeks ago and the girls seem to be doing pretty well (there have been plenty of them coming and going and they look to be gathering lots of bramble pollen). It wasn't a huge nuc so i'm hoping to see a good deal of colony growth when I inspect this weekend.

I'm aiming to add another 2 frames into the BB at this inspection, and hopefully get to a full box in the next few weeks.

Will I need to add a super to let them start storing for winter? I don't intend to take anything at all from the hive this year (in fact, there probably won't be any for me to take anyway), but I want to give them as much chance of building up stores to over-winter as I can.

Any advice gratefully received, and thanks for looking.

No super till 7 or 8 frames full of brood.
They don’t need a super of honey for winter. They will put it into the brood box.

Let them fill the brood if there’s still income and that will depend on area add a super you may get a crop. They will over winter fine on a single bb, don’t be afraid to take a crop your not doing them any favours by not taking a few frames or indeed boxes. Bees can benefit from a feed in several regards late season!!!

I'm aiming to add another 2 frames into the BB at this inspection, and hopefully get to a full box in the next few weeks.

Adding frames in? If the BB isn’t full with frames the bees will start drawing comb in the spaces and you’ll have remedial work to do (or am I misunderstanding you).

Adding frames in? If the BB isn’t full with frames the bees will start drawing comb in the spaces and you’ll have remedial work to do (or am I misunderstanding you).

the BB isn't full of frames as they were only on 4 frames 2 weeks ago, and 5 frames last week, so i'll add 2 frames this weekend and the last the weekend after that (unless it looks like they need all of them this weekend).

the BB isn't full of frames as they were only on 4 frames 2 weeks ago, and 5 frames last week, so i'll add 2 frames this weekend and the last the weekend after that (unless it looks like they need all of them this weekend).
At this time of year, there is no need for all that faff, just chuck all the frames in and leave them to it.

You’ll end up with comb drawn from the crown board into the open space and they’ll have wasted comb and increased work for you. You should put all the empty frames in.

Sorry to jump in, I transferred my bees to hive 3 weeks ago, bb now full of frames, when I inspect on Monday if they have drawn them all, shall I put a super on? I noticed all the syrup is about finished too
Thanks

Super when you have 6/7 frames full of brood
If they have stored your syrup they will move it up into the super as the queen needs room

I wonder. During a heavy flow I see my bees dump nectar just inside the front door, but by the next day it is clear.
Also, I like to keep brood right up against the QX. If there is a honey arch at the top of any brood frames, when I bruise it, the bees then empty those cells

all the syrup is about finished
It can be tricky to learn to connect colony development, what is in flower and producing nectar, and the aim of a colony from this point in the season.

Feeding too much syrup can restrict laying space; enough to draw the combs is fine. Has blackberry or lime been in flower these last few weeks? Do you have Himalayan balsam near you? Are you in town or country?

shall I put a super on

Your nuc is past the peak in the cycle of seasonal development and the main nectar flow will soon be over; in this scenario a super is not going to serve any purpose and will only deprive the nest of heat.

If you're near borage (flowering now) or heather (bell now, ling Augustish) and your colony was stronger than it is, a super might have been worth a shot. These strong flows will be specific to certain areas in some seasons, and in the coming years you must find out what grows well for pollinators within two miles of your apiary, whether sown or growing wild.

Reality is that you must align your thinking to that of a bee, and let this small colony fill one bigger box so heavy that you will have difficulty lifting it in September.

Last edited:
Pound to a penny, a colony on 4 frames a couple of weeks ago is not going to need a super this year.

Latest posts

Back