Transfering bees from wood to poly - any tips

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10 poly hives
Just put together my ploy hives (not glued as that was the concensus), once the paint has dried I will be ready to transfer the colonies from their wooden hives. Any tips or advice?

My queens are Buckfasts, is it true they have a habit of absconding?

Just put together my ploy hives (not glued as that was the concensus), once the paint has dried I will be ready to transfer the colonies from their wooden hives. Any tips or advice?

Are they both nationals?

Yes, my hives are nationals, polys from MB. Does that make a difference?

My MB hives are Nationals definitely NOT Langstroths, the switch will be simple frame swap.

First off wait until the weather improves.

Just a simple question of moving your wooden hive off to one side and quickly set up the poly in the same location and then transfer the frames over keeping them in the same order. Once your done empty the remaining bees out of the wooden hive and take it away. Nothing complex to it...

National wood from Sherwood and polystyre from British Petrolium Oil Company. then ok.

National wood from Sherwood and polystyre from British Petrolium Oil Company. then ok.

mmm ? ?
Not the Environmentally Friendly option! :willy_nilly:

Can I ask why the change from wood (presumably not cedar then)? :Angel_anim:

My wooden hives are, in fact, cedar, this is not a cost issue. I have searched extensively on this forum, and there are very good reports on the performance of poly hives from some very experienced beeks on this site.

I would like to try for myself. I have also decided to try top bee space after looking at discussion here, hence my choice of MB hives .

The environmental issue is a whole bag of worms, often discussed here, it was not my intention to re open it on this thread. It depends who you listen to, each person thinks their option is best.

Not the Environmentally Friendly option!

Why not? We're told that polystyrene will last for ever, so the hives should last at least as long as timber. In terms of resources they only need to be painted once, using water-based paint, to protect from algae and UV exposure. They're also lighter to transport, so less stress on vehicles etc..

Polystyrene can be recycled http://www.uk-energy-saving.com/polystyrene-recycling.html and http://www.eps.co.uk/sustainability/map_recyclers.html

I know this might seem a slightly tongue in cheek, Devil's Advocate, type of comment, but I also have poly hives and did quite a lot of soul-searching before committing to buy.

Totally OT on polyhive environmental impacts.

I am afraid there is lot of hypocrisy about environmental issues and polyhives.

Hives consume a small amount of oil versus the amount used in insulating a house and heating it and the manufacture and driving of cars.

When people stop living in centrally heated houses and stop using petroleum products to travel then I would worry about polyhives.

Not to mention flying, eating food flown thousands of miles , and clothing made the other side of the world from artificial fibres..and food grown using artificial fertilisers: all using oil based products..

I wonder what is the problem. Material has nothing to do with that, thatyou lift frames to another box.

I am afraid there is lot of hypocrisy about environmental issues and polyhives.

Hives consume a small amount of oil versus the amount used in insulating a house and heating it and the manufacture and driving of cars.

When people stop living in centrally heated houses and stop using petroleum products to travel then I would worry about polyhives.

Not to mention flying, eating food flown thousands of miles , and clothing made the other side of the world from artificial fibres..and food grown using artificial fertilisers: all using oil based products..

Right on the money. Cognitive dissonance litters this type of thinking. It's laughable to see environmental supermarket shoppers shunning a plastic bag and driving off in a car that does less than 30 mpg.

Just move them over and say sorry to the bees :D

I can't find nationals on their site...when did they start?

Just over a year ago and certainly been on the website that long. :)

ThreeBees, just transfer them, they'll be fine and grateful.

--- - ----

Our Buckfast has produced over 50 Queen cells this year 24+ in April, 8+ end June and 20+ this week -

some were empty, some didn't come to anything - so on and so forth from the original in April.

she's on 3 brood boxes and Death Row soonest.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back