Trails and Tribulations of extracting. Advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On one occasion, I set mine at 43 with 6 supers on overnight and the thermostat at the top of the first super. The top 3 supers were fine but some frames at the bottom had collapsed. I think the problem arises when the bees draw out the wax more on one side than the other. As the wax softens the extra weight on one side causes the collapse.
I now go through the box and any frames that are much heavier one side are removed before the super goes on the heater trolley.

If that can happen what about putting a empty super on the bottom of the stack with empty frames inside so the thermostat probe can sit on top of the empty frames.

If that can happen what about putting a empty super on the bottom of the stack with empty frames inside so the thermostat probe can sit on top of the empty frames.

I may even try that, but I will lower the temperature range to 30 - 40 (it has a three stage heating controller).

Back