Traditional Honey Mead.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just be aware Helen that mead is odd stuff and dosen't seem to follow the rules, bit like bees really.
PH

Indeed. Many years ago I made gallons of the stuff, trying different variations. The results were not good at all - it all ended up down the drain.

I bottled some blackberry based 'mead' this year that's on the very dry side of unpalatable - accidently spilt some on the floor and turns out it's a very good floor cleaner. There is a silver lining :winner1st:

I made some a year age and have been tasting it recently. An amazing honey aroma but very dry. Drinkable but will hopefully improve with age.
I added half a glass to a pork pot roast and it was the nicest flavour pork I've ever had. Smell and taste were amazing.
Tried to use the lees as yeast for a sourdough or no-kneed bread, but the starter didn't rise.
I hear the lees are also good for the compost heap, so don't be throwing it down the drain.

It's a standard misconception that mead is sweet. Yeast is a hungry creature and will have the lot if possible. I have had it as low as 996 on the hydrometer, but then I by far prefer a dry taste.

If it takes its time don't give up on it, it always seems to get there in the end.

PH

If you find it too dry to your liking you can back sweeten when it is cleared..you can rather use honey or fruit juice...if you only have 5ltr vessels you are best doing it in a glass as you drink it just to rule out a secondary fermentation..just add a bit of honey or fruit juice to your glass till you get the taste you prefer..just the same as adding honey in tea or coffee.

Many thanks millet, I will be making this next year :)

Indeed. Many years ago I made gallons of the stuff, trying different variations. The results were not good at all - it all ended up down the drain.

Did you find the exact reason?

Racked my first attempt last Sunday. Fermenting very slowly as I clearly didn't add enough fruit to it initially. Was dry and very pleasant though.
Millet - you are a star! I think you should invite the forum members round for a very special evening. I understand the hangover from mead can be awful?

Racked my first attempt last Sunday. Fermenting very slowly as I clearly didn't add enough fruit to it initially. Was dry and very pleasant though.
Millet - you are a star! I think you should invite the forum members round for a very special evening. I understand the hangover from mead can be awful?

The Apple and Pear is brutal which most of what i do is Apple + Pear definitely need to take your time with it..it tastes that nice you get a wobble on before you know it..:D

I've never found a problem with hangovers after drinking homemade mead (though do try not to drink toooo much...) My favourite fruit ones so far, especially for the winter, are elderberry and elderberry+blackberry. Elder is such an undervalued tree!

I've never found a problem with hangovers after drinking homemade mead (though do try not to drink toooo much...) !

That made me smile :)
Hangovers are the result of drinking too much. I’ve never had enough mead but I can tell you a port or brandy hangover is something else!

Oh hangovers have certainly happened here, I'm afraid, after drinking all sorts, but I suppose I was comparing my mead with those things you know you shouldn't have gone near, from the feeling in your head before you've even gone to bed. Some wines can have horrible effects - but you never know what's in them! - One good thing about making your own!

Never being one for volume (pints) I decided to stick to Whisky on my stag night, that was a mistake. My brother said I had a half pint glass of the stuff when he left.
Took a day to recover, an experience never to be repeated!

Never being one for volume (pints) I decided to stick to Whisky on my stag night, that was a mistake. My brother said I had a half pint glass of the stuff when he left.
Took a day to recover, an experience never to be repeated!

Did the same with whiskey and orange when I was at college - ended up in sick bay with very bad withdrawal effects and even now almost fifty years later, even the smell makes me feel instantly sick.

Thanks for the recipe! You make it sound so easy.

If I had a go now Would I need to stand the demijohn on a homebrew heat mat or will fermentation kick off without?

Has anyone had a go at making honey liqueur? Worth doing?

Cheers all!

Latest posts

Back