Torching and Cleaning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
OK, just thought have any of you got any Tips cleaning bits and torching supers

My tip is: when you have been scrapping with your hive tool and blow torching supers for an hour dont pick up the J tool scrapper by the sharp end:::::::as it is HOT :D just welded a pair of marigolds to my thumb and forefinger, and covering in Savlon as i type

ok any better tips:

don't do it in your wooden shed as I nearly did today.
Chilly out but still able to torch the Q/E (wire)

things not to do: never rest the working smoker on a poly hive roof.......ggggrrrrr

Seemed like a good idea at the time? Doh, we're all guilty of Homer momments.

Jezd,

If you really must do that, you really must modify your smoker so that it has a heat resistant base to stand on, separated from the bottom of the smoker body (like the wire grids around the more expensive smokers). Is that the first and only one?

Regards, RAB

I have a round plywood base about 10mm deep for my smoker...

And when burning items with a blow torch wear welders' gloves...

Polycarbonate lenses for grinding and high speed cutting.

Face masks for sanding.

Fire extinguisher in the garage mounted on the wall.

Earth leakage circuit breakers for outside cables.

And all step ladders which fold away modified so that can only be put up in such a way that they cannot collapse on you...

Basic safety precations as DIY is the most dangerous pastime in the UK...

(Plus a first aid kit)

Jezd,

If you really must do that, you really must modify your smoker so that it has a heat resistant base to stand on, separated from the bottom of the smoker body (like the wire grids around the more expensive smokers). Is that the first and only one?

Regards, RAB

i caught myself before I did it the other day, very lucky mind.

Not actually done yet.

Buy cheap pay dear.

Rested my smoker on poly roofs times and never had an issue.

PH

lmao, yes I buy cheap, that is what I do, hmmm

One of the most satisfying experiences i've ever had was blow-torching to death a wax moth infestation. Caramelised moth larvae-yum!!!

Ben P

One of the most satisfying experiences i've ever had was blow-torching to death a wax moth infestation. Caramelised moth larvae-yum!!!

Ben P

Robins love them cooked, but won't eat them raw!!!!

bought a blow torch attachment (£10 Lidl ?) that can run off a BIG propane cylinder... much more economic than the DIY blowtorch I use to fire up the smoker,
particularly as I already had a cylinder to exchange!

when you have been scrapping with your hive tool and blow torching supers for an hour dont pick up the J tool scrapper by the sharp end:::::::as it is HOT

ok any better tips:

Yep, use a shave hook, at least it has a handle so you don't pick up the wrong end! :)

If you have torched a q/excluder that will be scrap next season, the bars buckle when warmed!!!

If you have torched a q/excluder that will be scrap next season, the bars buckle when warmed!!!

The plastic ones in particular :)

Latest posts

Back