• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Topbar hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenmeaney

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I have a top bar hive spare. it's twin walled with insulation in the void 4"long approx 3"across base feet. I am in Thetford norfolk .£50.00p or swap for honey.The brown one

Attachments

• 20200909_115338(1).jpg
    20200909_115338(1).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 39
You could offer it to your local association as a training hive. My local one is trying to get an example of most mainstream hives to teach our beginners what's available, even though we try to get them to stay with the more mainstream hive types (cheaper to find spares for) in their initial years.

Tried local beekeepers associations according to them not a propper way to to keep bees!

Thats very narrow minded of them and a desperately sad indictment of that association. Are they even affiliated to the BBKA?
Sound like they definitely are.
But just remember one thing - Patterson and Crane designed the African (Kenyan) top bar hive for A.m.adansoni therefore it had to be low intervention and simple in design, swarming isn't an issue out in Africa either, in fact it's almost unavoidable as the bees are not just migratory but almost itinerant, so ease of artifical swarming is not necessary - even pointless. also the larger bees/colonies of Europen bees means the comb here is more liable to breakages. So all in all almost the exact opposite of the responsible proactive beekeeping promoted over here.

Latest posts

Back