Top Dollar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been showing my hives to customers for 5 years.
None of them stung (yet).
Clear crown boards help.

It's not the customers getting stung that's the potential problem, it's the less scrupulous customers coming back and nicking the hives that is the potential problem.

I think if I lived in a village and was the sole purveyor of honey in that area I would be pushing that aspect ... I live in town ... there are already at least three local beekeepers using the name Fareham Honey, one who is significantly below my price point. A number of beekeepers promote Hampshire Honey ... and Just off the Avenue in Fareham honey does not quite have the ring to it I would like ...

Rock and a hard place I reckon ...

Looking on google maps The Avenue is quite a long road, if you were at or near the western end you could be Titchfield or Catisfield honey to differentiate yourself if needed? Perhaps there's other local features in your area you could use to create a difference? Fareham Vale for instance (I don't know if Fareham has a Vale BTW) or how about Meon Valley Honey?

The difference with the 'churner' is that the honey is pounded to a cream rather than just stirred. So the honey doesn't have to be liquid to start with.

A cordless drill is unlikely to be powerful enough for the force needed to get through an average bucket of honey that's been left to crystallise.
I will tell my drill, stirrer and honey that they are unlikely to work then. My honey remains crystallised but has been warmed to soften before I start

The YouTube video showing how to use this particular creamer shows it works with honey which is still quite set, which only a reasonably powerful drill would cope with.

Last edited:
Looking on google maps The Avenue is quite a long road, if you were at or near the western end you could be Titchfield or Catisfield honey to differentiate yourself if needed? Perhaps there's other local features in your area you could use to create a difference? Fareham Vale for instance (I don't know if Fareham has a Vale BTW) or how about Meon Valley Honey?
No ... we are at the town end of the Avenue so not either Catisfield or Titchfield ... Meon Valley is well north of us and there are not really any distinguishing features around my address .. bit of a beggar really ...

The YouTube video showing how to use this particular creamer shows it works with honey which is still quite set, which only a reasonably powerful drill would cope with.

My set up copes with honey of that sort of consistency and my stirrer is a beaten flat spaghetti ladle which presents quite a surface area to the rotational forces.

Solent honey, dockyard honey, quayside honey, I know what we used to call Gosport but that would be a bit rude to put on a honey label!
E

David’s video has his honey warmed through to 30 degrees
Yes, same as this one. (This is the video which David originally had a link to before buying the creamer himself and doing his own video.)

Anyway, a lot lower temperatures than usually needed with the Dyce method for melting out the main batch before stirring in the seed.

David's local crops are fairly predictable (e.g no OSR) but if people live in areas of very variable forage then the viscosity of the 30°c set bucket is going to be very variable too.

Yes, same as this one. (This is the video which David originally had a link to before buying the creamer himself and doing his own video.)

Anyway, a lot lower temperatures than usually needed with the Dyce method for melting out the main batch before stirring in the seed.

David's local crops are fairly predictable (e.g no OSR) but if people live in areas of very variable forage then the viscosity of the 30°c set bucket is going to be very variable too.
No OSR within 50 miles of me

What's your main crop for set honey?
One of my apiaries is very predictable, OSR in Spring, lime in summer. But my hives at home are much more variable as, as well as the rotating crops, we also have all the gardens, being on the edge of town.
Dandelion

It's not the customers getting stung that's the potential problem, it's the less scrupulous customers coming back and nicking the hives that is the potential problem.

I do actually take some precautions.

(the mine field is primed by a remote switch :eek: )

I'm about to find out. Just ordered an II kit which I thought was coming from Carlisle but is being shipped from Portugal. Due for delivery by UPS on Friday.
Well I received an email from UPS today saying my parcel will be delivered tomorrow (Friday) between 10:45 and 14:45. According to the UPS tracking system, however, it is still in the Portugese town from where it was shipped.

No I went through the emmet stage moving to Devon..... now I am proud to live in Cornwall with a Cornish family... my children can swear fluently in Cornish.... and with their friends speak a dialect I have trouble in understanding!
The other side of the family were Welsh Primitive Methodists... my mother now 98 still converses in Welsh with her cousins and my granddaughter who lives on the isle of mad!

So my genetics like my bees are Celtic!!

I also have a cousin Jack in Canada..... I think his forebears got lost in the fog fishing out of Newlyn!

Fathers Aunt lived in Liskeard and when we traveled down from Wallington in Surrey we had to take the ferry across the Tamar!
Now they have a bridge at Saltash ... costs £2.50 to get out!!!

Chons da

Talking of tolls: the M4 into Wales used to have a toll but the reverse (from Wales into England) didn't. I always thought that was a bit unfair. All changed now - the tolls are gone but so are the motorists

Talking of tolls: the M4 into Wales used to have a toll but the reverse (from Wales into England) didn't. I always thought that was a bit unfair.
Not at all - didn't want to discourage people from leaving 😁

Well I received an email from UPS today saying my parcel will be delivered tomorrow (Friday) between 10:45 and 14:45. According to the UPS tracking system, however, it is still in the Portugese town from where it was shipped.
UPS are in meltdown at the moment, had an email from them Wednesday lunchtime telling me that the delivery of the chainsaw oil I'd ordered had been delayed by 48 hours.
I'd actually received the delivery three hours before the email and the oil was in the back of the truck with the chainsaw :icon_204-2:

Talking of tolls: the M4 into Wales used to have a toll but the reverse (from Wales into England) didn't. I always thought that was a bit unfair. All changed now - the tolls are gone but so are the motorists
They( Tory Government) are talking of putting the fee up as the Bridge over the Tamar*** and the Torpoint ferry made a loss last year due to Covid!
The A38 is one of the most dangerous Roads in the UK and the GWR system is subject to storm damage.... and they are spending £££Billions on a rail link from London to Manchester to save the Business People ( who probably have their own private helicopter) 15 minutes on the train... LUDICROUS!

That is the
GreatgreygreengreaseyTamarriverallsetaboutwithsecondhomeswhoseownersgotabigjuicygovernmenthandout!

Chons da

They( Tory Government) are talking of putting the fee up as the Bridge over the Tamar*** and the Torpoint ferry made a loss last year due to Covid!
The A38 is one of the most dangerous Roads in the UK and the GWR system is subject to storm damage.... and they are spending £££Billions on a rail link from London to Manchester to save the Business People ( who probably have their own private helicopter) 15 minutes on the train... LUDICROUS!

That is the
GreatgreygreengreaseyTamarriverallsetaboutwithsecondhomeswhoseownersgotabigjuicygovernmenthandout!

Chons da

True dat

Latest posts

Back