top bar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose crownboards came into being during the era of multipurpose boards which sprung up during war economy drives and the holes in them generated the "keep 'em cold keep 'em mean" brigade before then there were quilts (which if I recall reading somewhere was designed to soak up any moisture)

Or ge
I would put it on and keep it all the year round. You can seal the cut edges with aluminium tape like this:

Aluminium Foil Tape 50mm x 45m | Toolstation to stop it going brittle and crumbling with exposure to UV and then give the slabs a coat of paint and perhaps decorate them with some nice bee friendly patterns. Attaching them is easy ... stick on velcro strips will do the job nicely. Real Blue Peter DIY but it will keep the bees cool in summer and nice and warm in winter.
[Or get Celotex with it’s own covering which you can then paint 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
[Or get Celotex with it’s own covering which you can then paint 🙂

Most of the PIR boards have a surface that can be painted - the cut edges have to be taped up though to take a paint coating - that's where the aluminium tape is used.

Latest posts

Back