top bar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenmeaney

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Third year with top bar hives, all home made double walled with 25mm celotex between walls , roofs are insulated the same,mesh floors with inspection boards. Have tried several bar types the best in my opinion is the one in photo sharp point and upper highway holes . My son inlaw has three in norwich, an other person has one in aylesham, and one in bury st edmunds. I also built a catherdral hive that my son inlaw has. My hives are about 12meters from kitchen door and 2 meters side on from shed the bees don't mind much about woodworking right alongside them, the first lot moved in whilst i was making second hive. returned to beekeeping after 30 gap. Thetford norfolk.20200920_111839.jpg20200909_164336.jpg20210228_124743.jpg20200920_111839.jpg20200909_164336.jpg20210228_124743.jpg

These look amazing! I just purchased my first top bar from thorne. These look better :D

Very nice hives and I like the fact that they are so well insulated ... well done. I use similar triangular strips in my foundationles frames (I don't bother with the holes though but I can see with just the top bar for support and extra area for attachment is not a bad thing).

Perhaps next you should start and think about a Long Deep Hive with frames next ... Here's mine:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99514363@N06/albums/72157634865981506
Triple wall construction with a sandwich of 25mm of polystyrene.

Yes those triangle shaped bars work well. I have some very similar ones only complete with frame sides and bottom bars, dadant size but turned on end so it's deep and relatively narrow.

I just bought a second top bar from Cornish Honey's website. Looks a bit better than the one I got from Thorne tbh

I would put it on and keep it all the year round. You can seal the cut edges with aluminium tape like this:

Aluminium Foil Tape 50mm x 45m | Toolstation to stop it going brittle and crumbling with exposure to UV and then give the slabs a coat of paint and perhaps decorate them with some nice bee friendly patterns. Attaching them is easy ... stick on velcro strips will do the job nicely. Real Blue Peter DIY but it will keep the bees cool in summer and nice and warm in winter.

I would put it on and keep it all the year round. You can seal the cut edges with aluminium tape like this:

Aluminium Foil Tape 50mm x 45m | Toolstation to stop it going brittle and crumbling with exposure to UV and then give the slabs a coat of paint and perhaps decorate them with some nice bee friendly patterns. Attaching them is easy ... stick on velcro strips will do the job nicely. Real Blue Peter DIY but it will keep the bees cool in summer and nice and warm in winter.
Ok great. On it

I've seen people laying a pillow case filled with wool along the top bars. Do you do that?

I've seen people laying a pillow case filled with wool along the top bars. Do you do that?
You can insulate above the top bars with something like that but I would contain the wool in a polythene bag as it does absorb moisture and a pillow case is probably not going to help the situation. If you have enough space in the roof I would always prefer a slab of 25mm kingspan or celotex - really is the best insulator these days although in times past people have used old carpets, straw filled bags and a load of other stuff ... but times move on and there are better options available these days.

You can insulate above the top bars with something like that but I would contain the wool in a polythene bag as it does absorb moisture and a pillow case is probably not going to help the situation. If you have enough space in the roof I would always prefer a slab of 25mm kingspan or celotex - really is the best insulator these days although in times past people have used old carpets, straw filled bags and a load of other stuff ... but times move on and there are better options available these days.
Yes, someone suggested a hessian sack over a pillow case.

I have loads of wool.

Years ago I used hessian sacks filled with straw, often needed replacing after winter as it can get decidedly manky. When I recommenced beekeeping I went over to kingsman/celotex even though I have easy access to wool. Thermally the modern stuff is excellent and easy to use and low maintenance, sticky foil tape is just wonderful !

Years ago I used hessian sacks filled with straw, often needed replacing after winter as it can get decidedly manky. When I recommenced beekeeping I went over to kingsman/celotex even though I have easy access to wool. Thermally the modern stuff is excellent and easy to use and low maintenance, sticky foil tape is just wonderful !
Ok good to know, thanks!

Nice pictures.
I started with TBHs..

Latest posts

Back