Top Bar Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy-glide

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Thinking it may be fun to build a top bar hive. Has anyone had a go at this? Would be interested to know advantages of the various designs available on the web.

Go for the original plans from Biobee, they're free, work well, and are easy to build - here's one of mine -
tbh.jpg

- I used old printing plates to waterproof the roof

Yes go for it I built two last year but not for me and I have since got one back now and I am very happy with it, its a fancy affair but cheap and cheerful works just as well.

In the UK it seems that most people have made them from the plans available from Biobees. When I was researching before making the two TBH's I rather liked the idea of making them without the need to bolt on the four legs as I found that a bit of a problem if you needed to move the hive any great distance, I had noticed that in the US they tent to have a base that the hive sits on and if I was going to do another I would do that. This will require a bit more work and timber along with a the construction of a sturdy base.

Good Luck

Yes go for it I built two last year but not for me and I have since got one back now and I am very happy with it, its a fancy affair but cheap and cheerful works just as well.

In the UK it seems that most people have made them from the plans available from Biobees. When I was researching before making the two TBH's I rather liked the idea of making them without the need to bolt on the four legs as I found that a bit of a problem if you needed to move the hive any great distance, I had noticed that in the US they tent to have a base that the hive sits on and if I was going to do another I would do that. This will require a bit more work and timber along with a the construction of a sturdy base.

Good Luck

The biobees design is so easily modified to sit on a stand that even I have managed it..

All my TBH nucs (12 frames) sit on stands and I have transported one by car - full of bees - 60 miles with no incidents.

My TBH full hives are bolt on legs .. but again could easily be modified.

I am NOT a carpenter: more a crapenter

The biobees design is so easily modified to sit on a stand that even I have managed it..

All my TBH nucs (12 frames) sit on stands and I have transported one by car - full of bees - 60 miles with no incidents.

My TBH full hives are bolt on legs .. but again could easily be modified.

I am NOT a carpenter: more a crapenter

Sounds a nice setup "12 frames" unless you make frames if not is this not a sin to mention frames in the TBH world :biggrinjester: a bit like long term beekeepers refering to worker bees as him, he ect :rolleyes:

Yes easily altered and I may do in time or perhaps incorporate the alteration on my next TBH, no plans just yet but I think its a good chance in the future. I have a van so no real problem for me to move but it does take two with the legs attached and perhaps I could manage on my own with the legs removed easily.

I have new laying queens in my TBH and TBH nuc and just waiting to see which is the better queen and then I will combine the two and may be able to donate a few bars and a queen? a couple of options.

Sounds a nice setup "12 frames" unless you make frames if not is this not a sin to mention frames in the TBH world :biggrinjester: a bit like long term beekeepers refering to worker bees as him, he ect :rolleyes:

A slip of the keyboard.. Stuff what the TBH world think... (If you will pardon my Franglais)

Thanks

Will have a go following the biobees design. Need to have a look down my local timber yard now to see what size planks I can procure.

Sure a cedar planked roof would look nice but as the hive will be hidden from view in a hedge proably its a bit over the top

1" timber is perfect if you can find it - I used 3/4" softwood t&g floorboards from Wickes for the main body of the example in the picture - it works fine, the timber wasn't expensive, and is untreated. I used a "gravel board" in tanalised timber for the legs - remarkably cheap!
Finished off with boiled linseed oil and beeswax applied hot.......

Note the length of the biobee design 36inch does not match a 4th multiple of the top bars assuming 1.25inch. Is this a problem or do you adjust the length using the followers so that the hive is never totaly full.

Firstly, don't faff about with a 36" hive, a feisty colony will soon fill that - go for 48" (or close to) - the follower boards "take up any slack" either end.......

Firstly, don't faff about with a 36" hive, a feisty colony will soon fill that - go for 48" (or close to) - the follower boards "take up any slack" either end.......

:iagree:

the one I've just finished building is 48" long, and it really is a 2 handed job to move, without killing your back, my second one (still under construction) Ive reduced to 3' 6"
hopefully more managable

IMAG0315.jpg

I move my 4 foot one by removing the roof and the bars and moving it like furniture: one end diagonally sideways, then the other and so on : crabways .

Works and is better for my aged back.

Hive Length

Note the length dimension of 36 inch does not add up up a 4th multiple of 1.25 inch. Do you adjust the actual used length using the follower boards so that you never have a totally full hive full of top bars?

as I posted earlier in the thread "Firstly, don't faff about with a 36" hive, a feisty colony will soon fill that - go for 48" (or close to) - the follower boards "take up any slack" either end......."

Thanks

Noted today that B&# have sawn 6x1 inch planks for about £7 each which should be fine for the sides when jointed with biscuits.

I move my 4 foot one by removing the roof and the bars and moving it like furniture: one end diagonally sideways, then the other and so on : crabways .

Works and is better for my aged back.

lol its a great image..........just one more mile to go :biggrinjester:

just thought of an idea, two L shaped brackets bent over to make hooks, a pair of pram wheels, roll wheels up-to legs fix brackets 4" below where the axle is, lift roll wheels under brackets go around other side lift and push like pram

Back