Top-Bar hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy9391

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
1 but 2 shortly
Ive just made a top-bar hive and i need infomation on what wood preserve to use on it, can anyone help please

i just don't understand this design of topbar hive. looks really nice but why cant it have normal square body instead of this weird shape? where you can drop in what ever national/lang/... frames as many as you like, depends how long you want to build it and you just add more when necessary. May be i am missing the point of topbar hive here.

looks great anyway:cheers2:

top-bar hive

thanks for your help guys, ill look for cuprinol clear many thanks

why a topbar easy cost £ 35 for wood,
oh and by the way the roof is not yet finished i need to put a covering on it

Last edited:
I just do not get it.

How do you super? What is the resale value? Why force the bees to go sideways when their natural urge is to go up.

It just does not make sense. And please do not try and tell me its more natural. Because patently it's not.

PH

Nice hive Andy.
I made a TBH over a year ago but it has remained empty until today. A TBH bait hive I set up at the same time attracted the attention of a swarm last week and today I transfered them to the TBH. Looks like it could be a strong colony, they had built comb on 6 bars already and are franticaly bringing in pollen and stores.

Check out Biobees TBH forum at www.biobees.com/forum/ if you need any help or advice on keeping a top bar hive.
Good luck, I hope it's occupied soon!

Paul.

Ah yes, that gentleman, a person more open to discussion you will not find on the web.

*cough*

PH

Ah yes, that gentleman, a person more open to discussion you will not find on the web.

*cough*

PH

He has his opinions and beliefs on the subject as clearly do you.
I just belive in listening to both sides and making my own judgement.
If Andy has chosen the TBH route then it's clear that he's not going to get much advice from the likes of you here on this forum.

Paul.

The likes of I indeed.

But rude as you may be you are right. I have nothing but antipathy towards the proponents of that stupidity.

I give my advice freely and possibly too often so I will with draw from typing my advice to you. Imagine instead what I might say to an oaf after near thirty years in the offshore oil business during which I dealt with many such.

PH

The likes of I indeed.

But rude as you may be you are right. I have nothing but antipathy towards the proponents of that stupidity.

I give my advice freely and possibly too often so I will with draw from typing my advice to you. Imagine instead what I might say to an oaf after near thirty years in the offshore oil business during which I dealt with many such.

PH

Offence was not intended my friend, but considering my 36 years in the construction industry it would indeed be an interesting 'conversation' :)

Paul

Erhem! - to "return to topic", being the proud owner of a top bar hive (and a Warré too), I've gone for the most "natural" wood treatment I can find - boiled linseed oil with some beeswax melted into it, applied hot - if you use "Rustin's" linseed, it's not only completely safe, it's "food grade" too...... I suspect it's somewhat cheaper than proprietary chemicalised gubbins, smells splendid, and is completely harmless to bees, and the person applying it. It also works very well, used it for some years on sheds etc
Tbh more natural? - somewhat akin to a fallen hollow log - allows them to "do their own thing"..... as for Phil, I count him as a friend, never found him any less than charming, helpful, very knowledgeable, passionate and articulate......

Last edited:
Brosville:
How is your colony building up. Was it a prime swarm?

Going like dingbats! - trying not to keep faffing them about - at around 10 days had 6 full combs plus the "part combs" in the first picture, it's now about a month, and they've got 14 bars to play with.
I suspect it was a prime swarm -
here's some pictures from the "10 day" inspection

inspect.jpg

inspect2.jpg

Great pics Brosville.
can i ask where do you have the entry holes in your THB are they at the ends or along the side and also what sort of size are they :)

If I can say something, I did find it rather nice to see Bees doing what Bees do best!

The entrances are 3 one-inch holes, 2" up from the bottom of the hive, midway along one long "side" (which I reckon is the "front"):)

Back