Top 5 tools (power & manual)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must repair my summer cottage and store buildings all the time, it needs same tools.

Sometimes it is difficult to find a hammer, even if I have them 10. So I need more

Last edited:
I must repair my summer cottage and store buildings all the time, it needs same tools.

Sometimes it is difficult to find a hammer, even if I have them 10. So I need more

Yep ... and as soon as you get back from the shop with a new one you trip over the one you spent two hours looking for and couldn't find.... always the case.

Yep ... and as soon as you get back from the shop with a new one you trip over the one you spent two hours looking for and couldn't find.... always the case.

IT keeps me busy. Always, as you say. Always.

That is why hammer is not in my top 5 tools collection.

Last edited:

Like handbags and shoes for our lovely halfs :)

Bandsaw - to slice 2 X 8's in half and to cut curves when making furniture
Thickness Planer - because a lot of the wood I can purchase is rough cut
Router and table - because some cuts are best made on a router
Drillpress and drill bits - to drill holes in end bars and such
Table Saw - main workhorse to build bee equipment

cordless hand tools:
drill
impact driver
brad nailer
belt sander
jig saw (or skil saw, or both)
several interchangeable batteries

Nice to have:
Radial Arm Saw
sliding miter saw
Tons of clamps.. more clamps.... did I mention clamps?
Air compressor and paint gun - really speeds up the painting

hammer, screwdrivers, wrenches, square, tape measure, a good 3 ft ruler and other hand tools are presumed to be owned already

Hypothetical budget for machinery

I have been following this thread with great interest, as a newbie who embarked on my local BKA beginners’ course around this time last year. I have botched together a couple of ekes and the odd stand or two but am interested in doing more. I have a selection of hand tools of varying antiquities (including the requisite minimum five hammers – somewhere). I also have a few basic power tools of variable quality: drill, jigsaw, circular saw, router etcetera.

Were I to have a budget of £1000 (please indulge my fantasy) what should I spend it on? Should I blow most of it on a decent table saw, or instead pick up a band saw, a thicknesser and a pillar drill? I see some stuff on the Axminster website which looks interesting.

So, keeping the thread close to the original track, what tools or machinery should I spend my hypothetical £1000 on? Suggestions please.

Probably with all those missing hive tools and odd socks.

I'd add to that pencils and electrical screwdrivers - I buy them by the dozen and I have just no idea where they go ...

Anyone remember the Humphreys ? I reckon there's some that spirit away all those things that disappear and then turn up where you NEVER left them ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOeL18BFc0o

I found one of my hammers this week sat in the crook of a truss in my workshop ... I can't remember putting it there but it must have been a handy resting place when I was putting the new roof on in the summer. If I hadn't been installing a ceiling fan I would never have found it.

OK ... I know - you are wondering why I need a ceiling fan in the middle of winter ... well, I've installed a micro woodburner and most of the heat goes up into the apex so the £5 off ebay ceiling fan going slowly in reverse sends the heat back down - works a treat !

Attachments

• Micro stove 1.jpg
    Micro stove 1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Micro stove 2 .jpg
    Micro stove 2 .jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
the number 1 tool is a dado blade .and bench saw to take it.????? look on you tube

Sliding mitre saw and a bench saw, bin the jig saw and power drill and buy a nail gun. Make sure the sliding mitre saw has a depth adjuster.
you can now make any hive parts with this arsenal
Any advice anyone on buying a nail gun to make up frames with foundation?

Latest posts

Back