Tools for a Newbee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnkemp

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Well, my evening classes are coming to an end and so I get my hands on a hive at the local training apiary next month. So I need to kit myself out.

Minimum I've been told to get is:
Hive Tool - I have a J Tool on order
Bee Brush
Smoker
Bee Suit - Deciding between a Sherriff or an OzArmor

I'm also getting a queen catcher (hair clip type) in case I need to grab her majesty at some point.

Any recommendations for a smoker? I've seen them from £20 up to £70 plus for a Dadant. Does it make that much difference with someone who is getting a single hive initially?

Any other tools I need to think about?

Later in the summer we will have to transfer bees to our own hive and take them away, but that's for a couple of months from now but I'll be going either Abelo if we stay with National, or Swienty if we decide to move to Langstroth. But that's a cost for another day.

A bee suit in summer is extremely hot and you will feel like you are melting at times. An Oz armour or Sentinel Pro suit will keep you much cooler.

I don't like queen clips, far too easy to kill your queen. I would use a plunger type marking device, much safer.
Practice your dexterity by picking up drones, you can pick a queen up by her wings.

One handed queen catcher and push in 'ring of thrones' (handy for holding the queen when found on a frame so you can inspect the rest of the hive).

A completely spare hive. Floor, brood box, crown board etc. You will need it.
Marker pen for marking any frames you want to come back to. Small blow torch for lighting your smoker. Can of spray smoke such as Fabispray for emergencies. A large toolbox to hold all your kit!
E

I'm a newbee too. Only done one season so far, so my opinions are not from huge experience, but are based on what I've found as a beginner...

I got a really cheap smoker, under £15, from STBK. I can't say how many years it might last (or not), but so far I have had no problems with it at all and after a good clean during the winter it's good as new and ready for another season.

Top of my list of other tools would be a bag/trug/toolbox or something like that to house all of your bits and bobs. You can just pick it up and take it with you when you go to inspect, knowing that it's got everything you might need in it.

Some items, aren't typically tools, but are handy none the less. For instance, I keep to hand a tupperware pot with a lid that I use to safely store all of the brace comb etc. I've scraped off during inspections. The lid is vital to keep the bees out of any comb with nectar in it and make sure that it isn't littering your apiary and attracting any pests.

I'm also really glad that I got a cheap spare jacket for a helper to use. No one has had to use this yet, but I'm reassured knowing it's there. With my bees in the back garden I know there'll be backup if/when I need it. I might need another pair of hands to help move a hive, or want backup to collect a swarm of my own bees for instance.

A one handed queen catcher, and queen marking pens might not be essential, but they've been useful to me personally, even if I've mainly used the paint pens for making frames!

Of course I naturally fell into the trap of buying things I haven't actually used, like frame hangers (seemed a good idea at first, but in practice I hate the idea of a frame not being held over the brood box) and a bee brush (haven't had a reason to use it - yet).

Hope that helps - Penny

Dadant smoker and sheriff suits every time, the smoker may be a little excessive for 1 hive though but a get larger 1 at least.

I’m just coming into my second year of bee keeping. Apart from the things already listed, I’ve found a pocket magnifying glass for looking at eggs really useful. A mini torch can help too.

I also take photos using my mobile phone, so have it in a pocket of my bee suit.

When you do your order for the hive, add in things like a feeder etc as it may save on postage costs.

Good luck!

Emily

I noticed Thornes had their own version of a Dadant smoker at last year's convention.
The two smokers looked practically identical but there was a big price difference. I would probably get one but I still have my cheapo that is going strong after ten years or more. It replaced my other cheapo which was just as good but had an accident ;)

As Dusty would advise, you can never have too many crown boards.

Crown of thornes (and make sure you get it from Thornes) is far less hassle for marking the queen than all these fancy gadgets.
And invest in a small Hammerfore

Crown of thornes (and make sure you get it from Thornes) is far less hassle for marking the queen than all these fancy gadgets.

Don't get a cheap one with plastic netting on the top. Get one with a material netting.
E

Permanent marking frames will cause confusion down the line.

This is what drawing pins are for and if you go that route buy the ones with the big heads. Just remember to remove them.

PH

Just for everyones amusement I will admit to once impaling the queen with a crown, nowadays I just pick them up. Secondly if you ever misplace 1 you are sure to find it stuck in your shoe a week or so later!!

Permanent marking frames will cause confusion down the line.

This is what drawing pins are for and if you go that route buy the ones with the big heads. Just remember to remove them.

PH

A short line that something needs checking on that frame and cross it when done.....doesn't confuse me! :)
E

The Urban dictionary states "Hammerfor is a joke expression used when you are about to hit somebody on the head with a hammer."

I think I am humourless - what's the joke ?

Latest posts

Back