Tool caddy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malcolm Stamp

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I plan to build a bespoke tool caddy this winter with dedicated spaces for marking paint, scissors, hive tool, smoker and all those sundry bits and pieces. Any advice or pictures of your definitive design.

I plan to build a bespoke tool caddy this winter with dedicated spaces for marking paint, scissors, hive tool, smoker and all those sundry bits and pieces. Any advice or pictures of your definitive design.
Here are some photos of the caddy that my husband made me.

Attachments

• 395862A0-B2FB-4CA5-8C1E-0D7455A6C21A.jpeg
    395862A0-B2FB-4CA5-8C1E-0D7455A6C21A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 128
  • 9874DDAE-3AC6-41BD-B502-B89373CFD8DC.jpeg
    9874DDAE-3AC6-41BD-B502-B89373CFD8DC.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 123
My attempt, works well only thing is I would use thinner wood for the compartments as it's a bit heavy.

My entry:
Designed to be a Quiet Box/Tool Caddy/Swarm Collection Box. It is sized to fit Rose Hive frames, so needs to be about 35mm deeper for National. There is generous beespace so that frames with QCs will not be damaged. The tool box fits inside and has its own carry handle. (Spiders are optional :) )

20201108_093813.jpg20201108_093841.jpg20201108_093910.jpg20201108_093922.jpgQuiet Box 2.jpgQuiet Box 5.jpgQuiet Box 3.jpg

Last edited:
You are all disgustingly tidy ... do your immaculate, clean and tidy caddys look like that at the end of the season or are they like mine - covered in propolis, bits of beeswax, icing sugar, frame nails and smoker fuel with spent bee cages, odd bits of screws, tape, tools and other stuff compounding the problem that I can't find any of my multitude of hive tools and smoker bungs when I need them ?

My entry:
Designed to be a Quiet Box/Tool Caddy/Swarm Collection Box. It is sized to fit Rose Hive frames, so needs to be about 35mm deeper for National. There is generous beespace so that frames with QCs will not be damaged. The tool box fits inside and has its own carry handle. (Spiders are optional :) )

View attachment 22891View attachment 22892View attachment 22893View attachment 22894View attachment 22896View attachment 22897View attachment 22898

I can see the utility in this design and may well, when my current design, has given up the ghost which will be a few years yet as its only a season old itself.

I'm afraid mine is a plastic Stanley tool box, encrusted with propolis, sticky with honey/syrup, smeared with wax and, after about 12 years use, a cracked lid. All the small bits - Q cages, hive tools, marker pens, lighter etc, etc, go in the various shallow compartments on the top, (which I imagine were designed to hold screws, nails, washers, rawl plugs....). The more capacious bottom part has emergency fuel, big hive tools, mesh, slates, emergency fondant, foam, bee brush, (it's a big 'un), goose feathers and so on, ie. anything that's too big to go in the top. Having seen the lovely purpose built ones, posted here, I think I might try to bodge a smoker harness for it.

I'm afraid mine is a plastic Stanley tool box, encrusted with propolis, sticky with honey/syrup, smeared with wax and, after about 12 years use, a cracked lid. All the small bits - Q cages, hive tools, marker pens, lighter etc, etc, go in the various shallow compartments on the top, (which I imagine were designed to hold screws, nails, washers, rawl plugs....). The more capacious bottom part has emergency fuel, big hive tools, mesh, slates, emergency fondant, foam, bee brush, (it's a big 'un), goose feathers and so on, ie. anything that's too big to go in the top. Having seen the lovely purpose built ones, posted here, I think I might try to bodge a smoker harness for it.
Me too.

How clever you all are
I had a large canvas tool bag with everything in a heap at the bottom.
So I put an old bedside drawer cupboard in the shed at the apiary and everything is in a jumbled heap in drawers 😂
I've tried pockets, but I'm always losing things from them. Also, my main non off-road tool caddy/shed means I have to carry stuff....
This makes me feel a whole lot less inadequate !

Back