Too Many Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
In previous years I have extracted my honey, removed the supers and fed the brood box in readiness for winter. This year I have just too many bees to be accommodated in a single brood box. I have put a super on to give them room ... but I am unsure how to go forward - should I wait and the colony will eventually shrink enough for me to follow my normal plan of action. Should I feed as I am and proceed into winter as brood and a half - I have never gone down this route so don’t know the implications Any advice gratefully accepted

Put the super under the brood box. They can use it for room and if you feed and they need to fill it they will. They will empty that first as they move up into the brood box during the winter and you can remove it in early spring when it is empty. If you put it above the brood box they will move their stores from the brood box up into it which is a waste of their time and effort!
E
Sorry Danni crossed in the post!

if you feed and they need to fill it they will. They will empty that first as they move up into the brood box
more likely that they will store it at the top of the brood and shift down into the nadired shallow - that's what happens with my colonies

I tend to leave it on the top if its full of stores as I don't want to give the bees extra work for nothing by nadiring. I make sure the QX is removed and when I do my first inspection of the year I put the QX back on making sure the queen is in the bottom. There is likely to be brood in the super but by the time the spring flow starts all the brood will have emerged and they can store nectar in the super.

more likely that they will store it at the top of the brood and shift down into the nadired shallow - that's what happens with my colonies
Quite right in the short term. I wasn't specific enough. Yes you will get brood in the shallow to begin with but as winter progresses and the brood disappears they will move up back into the brood box as they eat through their stores. should take note of my own signature!!!!

I tend to leave it on the top if its full of stores as I don't want to give the bees extra work for nothing by nadiring. I make sure the QX is removed and when I do my first inspection of the year I put the QX back on making sure the queen is in the bottom. There is likely to be brood in the super but by the time the spring flow starts all the brood will have emerged and they can store nectar in the super.
I was suggesting leaving an EMPTY super bar for frames under the brood not a full one. If it is full of stores then yes it goes above the brood box

Just started sorting mine for winter. Most were double brood & 2-3 supers. I usually find I can put all the brood into 1 box with 1 or 2 of stores on the outer edges. I then put a super with 4 extracted cleaned frames in the middle for the Q to lay into then fill the rest with uncapped Honey frames. I still have HB going strong & ivy just starting so the super will be full for winter stores. No QX obviously
Come spring make sure Q is in bottom brood box & put QX back on

We are not all capable of knocking up a UFE nor have a handyman around to help. UFEs expensive at Thornes, anyway not suitable for wbc.
But what you can do very easily with a WBC is find a piece of tube about an inch in diameter ... it will need to be the length from the inner entrance to the brood chamber to the outside of the lift. You then block up with some bits of foam rubber either side of the tube in the inner and outer entrance so that the only way in to the brood chamber is via the tube; The bees will happily use this and they will be able ti defend against the wasps. If you can't find a bit of tube you can cut up a PET bottle with a pair of scissors and roll it up into a tube and stick it in place with glue or tape of any sort.

You don't need a handyman for this ... a 6 year old child would manage it. Cost .. nothing at all. If you are really desperate send me a message and I'll send you some 1" overflow pipe.

Latest posts

Back