Too Many Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to overwinter on one brood if at all poss. My bees started their own winter preps before I started feeding, so they have moved their super stores into the brood box. I am leaving an empty super as an eke for treatment and to feed the bees. During the day they used to sit around the edge of the super, but now they are all down below. The brood boxes are very full of syrup and some nectar, so I will lay off feeding for a few days. All the queens are now producing their winter bees, some frames are more or less fully laid up with eggs and young larvae, but other winter frames with a small brood nest down the bottom surrounded by pollen and nectar. I have not seen the pollen fest that I normally get yet, but I guess that will come in a few days time when the eggs start hatching.

In previous years I have extracted my honey, removed the supers and fed the brood box in readiness for winter. This year I have just too many bees to be accommodated in a single brood box. I have put a super on to give them room ... but I am unsure how to go forward - should I wait and the colony will eventually shrink enough for me to follow my normal plan of action. Should I feed as I am and proceed into winter as brood and a half - I have never gone down this route so don’t know the implications Any advice gratefully accepted
I'm having the same problems at the moment; thousands of bees, loads of stores still being brought in and not many signs of it stopping at the moment. I'm hoping that the shorter days and cooling weather will slow them down, enough for me to at least get my varroa treatment sorted out! This year has been very good here for the bees, but I also suspect that my new poly hives have contributed greatly too.

Latest posts

Back