Too late to take off Supers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzle

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi All,

I still have supers on the hives that were 3/4 full a few weeks ago. At what point is it too late to take off supers and feed. I've been reluctant as weather has been fine here and they were still foraging with lots off bees in hive. I didn't want to cram them into a BB. I've also put out leftovers (cappings) from the spring extraction that they are working on atm. I'm thinking I should remove supers and start feeding. I have plenty of uncapped honey/wax that they can work on also to build up stores. Assume 1/1 syrup mix at this stage?

I'm still removing supers and condensing colonys, I did this apiary yesterday probably three quarters the way through treating and condensing.
Some of the single brood are rammed full of bees just how it should be, good strong colonys. IMG_20210920_130840.jpgIMG_20210920_124554.jpg

I will hopefully be finished in the next week to 10 days.

Still have queen's waiting to lay in poly nucs.
Edit: I've left some brood/half no feeding at this apiary.

Last edited:
Yes agree, 2:1 would be better. Was a bit worried that cramming them into BB would leave no space for queen to move around.

Yes, outside but away from hives. :confused:
Well it’s done now but it’s a really bad idea. If you have EFB or AFB anywhere near the risk of your bees taking spores home is too great and you won’t know till next year. Please don’t do it again

Fair point which I did think about. Excluders are on now and will dump the rest of cappings into hives once the supers are off.

oh I don't know if I've done the 'wrong' thing today, but a quick check of the hive and it was rammed with bees. I didn't want to disturb them too much, but they had used up the feed ( 2 litres of syrup) in an eke and were starting to fill the super with wax and honey 'freeform' and under the feeder; so I panicked that they were running out of room... and have put the super back with 9 frames so they have some space?
I didn't get to check the brood box as I was busy trying to not disturb them too much.

Attachments

• IMG_2404.jpeg
    IMG_2404.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2405.jpeg
    IMG_2405.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2406.jpeg
    IMG_2406.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 33
That's one of the rationales for not feeding whilst treating with apiguard on, bees want to put their stores behind and above the brood nest - you've just given then an extra few inches of space above the nest to do just that

oh damn...my rather 'absent' bee mentor told me it was necessary to feed them to build up their slight stores in time for the winter! Now I have just put a few super frames back for them to fill. Is this a mistake do you think?

oh damn...my rather 'absent' bee mentor told me it was necessary to feed them to build up their slight stores in time for the winter! Now I have just put a few super frames back for them to fill. Is this a mistake do you think?
no need for supers, just continue feeding after you finish the apiguard - it's obvious that they're not short of stores

but where will they store if no extra frames (via super)? And this is the 2nd tray of apiguard - 2 weeks in.
Do I just wait for them to use it all up? ps. Sorry if this sounds like common sense to you seasoned beekeepers!

but where will they store if no extra frames (via super)? And this is the 2nd tray of apiguard - 2 weeks in.
Do I just wait for them to use it all up? ps. Sorry if this sounds like common sense to you seasoned beekeepers!
The brood nest contracts and by late autumn is very small. The bees live in between the frames of stores

Latest posts

Back