Too late for foundation?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandysman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3+
I have just inherited a new hive that has not been treated for varroa this year, I also have my suspicion that it may have nosema as there are telltale marks on the front of the hive and would like to give them some fresh comb. As I have been changing the comb thought the year in my other hives I don't have sufficient freshly drawn comb to offer the new hive. Would it be too late for them to draw comb if they are fed some week syrup? If so I guess I will have to wait until next year. Common sense tells me to treat for varroa then feed to build them up and change next spring using Hivemakers thymolated syrup. Thoughts please
Ps National omf's 6 frames bias.
Andy

I put a frame of foundation in the middle of the brood after treating in my stronger colonies. Good for getting winter bees.
Don't know if it would work with six frames brood.
ITLD would know
Does that mean you have five frames stores?
If you do then you shouldn't feed

I put a frame of foundation in the middle of the brood after treating in my stronger colonies. Good for getting winter bees.
Don't know if it would work with six frames brood.
ITLD would know
Does that mean you have five frames stores?
If you do then you shouldn't feed

No,
They are pretty low on stores, only about two frames at most.

This time of year you should be feeding with thick syrup. Thin syrup is for the spring build-up.

What are thoughts on adding Nozevit if bees this year have been 'slow'.. and instructions say 1:1 syrup for that but I want to give 2:1 ?? (No nosema evident but reluctant to expand hive and bring in nectar even though queen laying good pattern)

Would you use and what strength??

All my hives are very light so I am already feeding - but only about 2 pints every 3rd day even though they have demolished it all in 24hrs. Dont want to block egg laying.

This time of year you should be feeding with thick syrup. Thin syrup is for the spring build-up.

Afermo,
Thanks for that. I am aware that I should be on 1x1 but I wondered if a bit of thin syrup to start might help them draw some fresh comb now. I am as I said in my post airing on the side of treating for varroa first as they have not been treated this year then feeding 2 x 1 with thymolated syrup and Bailey comb change next year.

If you suspect nosema its best to test if you can.

I had a problem earlier this year with one apiary and they picked up in no time after following Hivemakers excellent advice.

The thymol mix recommended to treat the bees is 5ml of the pre mix to 1L of 1:1 syrup lightly sprayed over the bees and combs every 4 days with three applications.

This thread may help http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24174

Would it be too late for them to draw comb if they are fed some week syrup?

Thinking back to about this time last year in chat, there was talk about putting foundation into the brood box whilst feeding, that they draw out good worker comb without any drone sized cells. New foundation towards the middle of the brood nest, alternating with drawn comb. Not done it myself, yet.

Thinking back to about this time last year in chat, there was talk about putting foundation into the brood box whilst feeding, that they draw out good worker comb without any drone sized cells. New foundation towards the middle of the brood nest, alternating with drawn comb. Not done it myself, yet.

Works better with just one or two foundations in between brood, and young brood at that, isolate older capped brood on the outside of foundation at this time of year and it might not get layed in again until next Spring expansion.

Latest posts

Back