too harsh to keep bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pandtpoultry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all, had the bee inspector round today and overall the bees are healthy but colonies are weaker than would like and as all swarmed when I was away they are queenless apart from one that lays mixed drone and workers in worker cells? (she is newly mated though)
I did requeen a hive but queen vanished :( so try again.
He said due to there being no other beekeepers locally and the dire forage due to bloody sheep clearing everything for miles around, height above sea level and harsh weather beekeeping is not viable without full swarm control or buying in mated queens. I know we have naff weather but I am sure highlands are worse but is there more forage there? I got 2 supers of honey with another left on the hive for them. However I already was in the process of outing my beehaus for a wooden hive. Are there other 'harsh' 'isolated' beekeepers with any tips as there is no way i am giving up, bumble bees do well bloody wasps do too well so surley honey bees should make it.
Overall it was a good inspection and learnt alot about many other things I did not know.

That's just one person's opinion.....albeit someone well versed in the ways of bees. But he/she just had a snapshot view of your hives/area. If you've got 2 supers of honey then it can't be all bad especially in this rather strange season we have just had, plus hives which have swarmed have just lost their workforce and it often takes the remaining season to recover from that. As a newbee, getting topside of swarm control is a major 'need to' on your agenda, but it's all part of the learning curve. How many colonies have you and how many are queenright? It is all slowing down now and getting ready for winter, so you need to be realistic about how many viable colonies you have for overwintering purposes and unite any which seem weak.

Frisbee

Hi we are near llandrindod wells. We are uniting to strengthen but I hope to keep 3 hives I understand now that our 2 beehaus just are not viable for this area but we have replacements arriving this week. I also understand about swarming but I had to go away for July and with 7 weeks of rain before that and wonderful weather in July then it is sods law. I have even planned to plant 2-3 acres of 5 varieties of bee friendly flowering plants to flower june to october so I am doing what I can but I understand the sheep have decimated for miles around. The better news i know know where the closest BKA is so I am joining very fast but despite his comments I really enjoy the bees too much and i dont give up too easy :) Overall I still feel confident my girls will do well :)

oopppss sorry, i have 2 of my swarms caught with queens which i am uniting with 2 queenless hives then i have one still queenless and 1 with a possibly dodgy laying queen but she has not been laying long so i will give her 2 weeks. Ideally i only want 3 colonies until i have much more experience and i find out if i can keep them well foraged for the next couple of years. Good news though we will have 2 more beekeepers in the area from next year as they know about my hives but too far for help in mating :(
Next year I will not go away in July and I am sure with swarm control and a few acres of flowers that i will have super strong hives :)

Well it sounds as if you know what you are doing.....although in my vast experience knowing what to do and actually doing it and getting it right are two vastly different things especially where beekeeping is concerned. It often seems that experience is the only way.

Good to hear other beeks are moving into the area......I think (but don't know details) that drones fly quite a long way.

Some beekeepers only ever use bought in queens. As you get down the breeding route though you may welcome your isolation :)

Interesting what you say about the Beehaus. What are you moving onto?

Frisbee

pandtpoultry?

Your location is given as UK, and as you are seemingly in the Scottish Highlands a more accurate location would be a huge help in offering some assistance.

PH (ex Abedeenshire with some experience of climates to the north....LOL)

Hi yes, i am sure i will be ok, i think whilst i was away i missed some swarms and casts plus i got 2 supers of honey as i said :) I am moving to nationals 14x12 brood boxes to replace the beehaus's.
Looking at information i found I am planting many different flowers including Sweet, red, white and crimson clover, borage, echium and phacelia and arrcording to records and reports they should offer 300lb of honey per acre which seems insanley high but it is claimed so even half of this should easily support 3 colonys of honey bees.
One report suggests Phacelia gives 180 - 1,500 pounds honey, depending on soil quality and depth; 300-1000 pounds of pollen.
I have chosen these as even in rain the nectar should not be washed away and we get rain here and they produce nectar all day and hopefully with this mix plus lupins then i shoul get flowers from June to October :)
If drones fly a long way will try to talk others into it.

Whilst the sheep may mow the medows there should still be plenty of forage in hedgerow, trees, all the gardens and parks in and around LW, bees can travel surprisingly large distances when foraging. Ask Finman about harsh?

Last edited:
Hi, sorry no gardens or parks within a couple of miles looked on google earth and was shocked, but i personally have maybe 2km of hedgerow and there is plenty of that. I am sure the girls will be fine just will insulate them in the winter and give them an inflatable life raft for our summers but i am sure it is a lot worse in the highlands.

My bees sound to be in a similar location although slightly lower down:rolleyes:

Early season they forrage willow first, then blackthorn, hawthorn and dandylion. Then comes the June gap with next to no flow followed by Bramble, clover, willowherb and balsam. They also forrage other wild flowers in between (don't know their names sorry:angelsad2:)

By what you've written it sounds like your only problem has been the swarms? How long did you go away for? Maybe you could perform a demarree or similar before your next trip.

I was away for 3 weeks and yes I agree swarming was my main issue :) but heho learnt my lesson and am more confident for next year. Listened to his comments of course but an hour and a half snapshot is not really enough. Had a long chat with a forum member on the phone last night whom really helped as well, I am sure this years mistakes will be not repeated next year but the new mistakes i make will lead to other issues - overall it is a great enjoyment.
I personally take great heart in most of the season and my plans for next and wipe my bloody nose due to the little errors and go on to enjoy new and different challanges next season. :)

No other beekeepers for miles around sounds ideal, get yourself on top of swarm control and get slecting your best queens for breeding make sure you got plenty of drones and away you go.
There will be plenty on here wish they were able to have as much potential control over the drone pool.

David

Latest posts

Back