Too early to be inspecting?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20297

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Looking at this video just uploaded by Bee Equipment. It seems to go against all the commonsense which surrounds me here. Even at the level of being a relatively inexperienced beekeeper, there seems a lot being done that shouldn't be done just now; it looks like a very cold and windy day and it's making the bees quite "frisky". Where he describes "nectar", at this time of year, wouldn't it be more likely the fondant been stashed in liquid form?
I admit I stopped watching it quite promptly and all I learned was that it was right to be patient.

Silly.

On a related note, there's a Layens hive owner in southern Wales who posted a YouTube video of her taking a frame of honey from the hive on February 22nd. Well, only 1/3rd of the frame actually had honey on.

Earliest honey harvest I have seen so far....

Lockdown making people even more impatient for the season to start than usual I think

Last edited:
At least his bees won’t need to forage for water.

My mentor was adamant that no inspection should take place before the temperature was consistently 16c or 60f and that's in windy and wet West Wales. Such temps usually being reached around the end of March / beginning of April.

The only thing that should be going on now is making sure the bees still have sufficient food available either by hefting, which if you've been doing it regularly throughout the dormant season you should be getting good at by now or some other weighing technique that doesn't involve disturbing the bees / cluster too much.

The goldern is open them for a reason, something to do isn't really a reason.

deleted wrong thread.

Back