Too early for swarm traps?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it be a pipe dream to think you can get away without feeding syrup?
Of course you can - if there's a flow on. It's just that a swarm is geared to turbo comb building, so if you feed them they'll draw out a box in no time at all and some like to take full advantage of that.

Of course you can use all foundation. Just with you putting in all starter strips I thought you might be keen to try some foundation free frames. The bees certainly like them though you might be alarmed at the amount of drone they produce at the right time of year. In my bait hives the bees always draw the FF frame first.
If you left the box "empty" you might get comb drawn all over the place. A frame of foundation between strips gives the bees a guide. I have a couple of colonies on FF and they seem to have less varroa (tin hat) than the others

I think I’ll give them full frames and save the experimenting with free frames for when I’m a bit more experienced

So should I give them a day to settle and orientate to their new location or should I just crack on and transfer them into the hive today? Weather is a bit blustery this morning but forecast to improve this afternoon. I’ve just been to have a look and not many flying yet, just the odd one

Brilliant!!
I'm wondering if you've made use of Maisemore's sale for some extra kit?

Didn’t know about the sale, thanks. I ordered some new hives etc. from Bee Equipment about a week ago and still waiting for it. Had to build some diy Nucs to tide me over!

Transferred both new swarms into home made 6 frame Nucs this morning. They’re quite small swarms, only covering maybe two frames each so I guess casts.

Are they likely to build up enough for winter or should I think about combining them maybe?

Traps were packed with scouts again this morning so I’ve taken them all down...four colonies is plenty to get me started!

I think you've still got time to build them both up well for winter with a bit of feed if necessary - (I had a new queen with just a couple of frames of bees on 21st August last year, and they were good going into and coming out of winter).

However, if you don't want too many colonies, now's a good time to combine them and make one bigger colony.

Delighted to see one of my swarm traps had been deemed suitable by what looks like a decent sized colony. I'd been keeping an eye on every trap but this one, so they could be there for weeks.
I suppose my next move is to get them to another location and then transfer them into a hive or nuc box? The trap is only a quarter of a mile from my apiary.

Could I ask how long I'll need to keep them away before I can move them back to to a permanent location in my apiary?

Delighted to see one of my swarm traps had been deemed suitable by what looks like a decent sized colony. I'd been keeping an eye on every trap but this one, so they could be there for weeks.
I suppose my next move is to get them to another location and then transfer them into a hive or nuc box? The trap is only a quarter of a mile from my apiary.

Could I ask how long I'll need to keep them away before I can move them back to to a permanent location in my apiary?
Convention has three weeks.
can I ask what’s in the trap? Frame wise?

Tbh I cant remember. It's a cheap plastic storage box from homebase...I'd say theres probably one brood comb and maybe one old strip of foundation. It's been there since last spring! I'd say it'll be fun transferring
It will be a challenge

Tbh I cant remember. It's a cheap plastic storage box from homebase...I'd say theres probably one brood comb and maybe one old strip of foundation. It's been there since last spring! I'd say it'll be fun transferring

I’d be really interested in seeing a picture of what you find when you open the box

Would it be ok to transfer them at their current location, late in the evening before moving them elsewhere tomorrow.....as opposed to taking the current box +3miles away before doing so?
Yes I would do the move at the current location but when the bees are flying then move in the evening but I suspect there may be an impenetrable mass of comb in there. It will be attached to the roof.
So you will need to cut the comb out and attach to frames which is really messy. If the floor comes off you could turn the lot upside down after you’ve moved it and put a new brood box over the top for them to move into? I’m sure more sensible people than me will have even more sensible ideas

you will need to cut the comb out and attach to frames which is really messy. If the floor comes off you could turn the lot upside down after you’ve moved it and put a new brood box over the top for them to move into? I’m sure more sensible people than me will have even more sensible ideas
Can't get a lot more sensible than either of those two methods

I think you've still got time to build them both up well for winter with a bit of feed if necessary - (I had a new queen with just a couple of frames of bees on 21st August last year, and they were good going into and coming out of winter).

However, if you don't want too many colonies, now's a good time to combine them and make one bigger colony.
I'm beginning to wonder. The weather has turned nasty again just as the lime and chestnut is coming into flower. At this rate my bees will be lucky to have anything for winter unless I give it. It has affected how much brood has been made too. Praying for better weather soon.

Latest posts

Back