Too early for swarm traps?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I might be able to expect yet another swarm in my 'lucky' bait box soon. They seem to like this one no matter where it's located!
View attachment 26512

See this is the sort of behaviour I expected to see.....I don’t understand why they’re bunching around the entrance so much at my trap??

Good luck, hope you catch em!

One of my bait hives is still getting tremendous attention....it’s been like this for most of the week. Is it odd that the bees are grouping around the entrance so much....or normal? They do go in and out as well but I’ve been wondering if the frames which are right behind the entrance are putting them off? Maybe a design flaw on my part. Do you think I should open the box up and remove the frames from behind the entrance hole to give a clearer flight in? Or should I leave well alone and I’m fussing over nothing? The frames are empty, they just have a one inch starter strip at the top...

View attachment 26509View attachment 26510
good activity there! I say leave it be and see what happens. The bees visiting my bait hive have also been collecting round the entrance at times. They don’t seem to have trouble getting in and out though

Quick newbie question! I'm wanting to put out a couple of empty brood boxes as bait hives, and my friend has some old comb I can use - but they're super frames, not brood. She said she thinks it's the smell of old brood they're attracted to. Is it worth trying with the super frames, or does it need to be old brood comb?

The swarm we got yesterday sat outside for hours so when Stan put the frames In he just scooped them up with his hands and put them in the box. They were all in at night time

The swarm we got yesterday sat outside for hours so when Stan put the frames In he just scooped them up with his hands and put them in the box. They were all in at night time

If I were to brush them into a box should I use smoke?

I wouldn't brush them, a scoop of some kind would be best or your hands and ladle them in. If you put frames in there I think they will soon start trooping in.
Well done!! Worth the wait?

Wear nitriles and gently cup them in with your hand.

Just been out and think they’ve gone in! I say ‘think’ because I’m pretty sure that’s the queen (top right)....she falls off 😟 but she does fly back to the face of the box and starts running around again...at one point she went inside, but came out again a couple of minutes later

View attachment 8F18FABA-1741-4DF4-9620-B10CE1204BAF.MOV

Latest posts

Back