Too early for swarm traps?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi, new beekeeper here. I made some swarm traps and was wondering if it was worth putting them out yet or is it too early?

Thanks

Have you drones in your hives?
North Staffs is at least 1 month away from swarms.. while parts of Cheshire (next county) have swarms. SO very localised

Hi, new beekeeper here. I made some swarm traps and was wondering if it was worth putting them out yet or is it too early?

Thanks

Not too early. Get them out over the next couple of weeks if you have them ready. The longer the bees have to discover the box, the better - certainly doesn't do any harm.

The only thing I'm concerned about is whether the old comb in the bait hives might be targeted by waxmoth; and I'm not certain if there's a specific breeding season or temperature which would favour the moth.

The only thing I'm concerned about is whether the old comb in the bait hives might be targeted by waxmoth; and I'm not certain if there's a specific breeding season or temperature which would favour the moth.

To be fair, that's a good question. There was a lesser wax moth sunning itself outside one of my nuc entrances today....

I wouldn't worry about the old comb getting attacked by wax moth. I put 1 Old frame in every box ( 15 bait hives) and in the last 5 years I've never seen any moth on them.

I wouldn't worry about the old comb getting attacked by wax moth. I put 1 Old frame in every box ( 15 bait hives) and in the last 5 years I've never seen any moth on them.

Just out of interest how many swarms do you get out of the 15? First year I’ve done bait hives after 10 years away from beekeeping. Currently got three out and plan to build few more when I get chance.

Just out of interest how many swarms do you get out of the 15? First year I’ve done bait hives after 10 years away from beekeeping. Currently got three out and plan to build few more when I get chance.
I tend to put at least one trap in each of my apiaries as an early warning. If I see interest at the entrance I make sure it's not one of my hives that's making preparations.
Last year I think I caught about 8 swarms in thes traps but not one was from my hives. I also put a couple of traps in a mates woods not far from a large apiary and caught 3 prime swarms!

Thanks very much for all the advice. I got the swarm traps out today. When I say I’m a ‘new beekeeper’ I really mean it....in that I haven’t got any bees yet! I was hoping to get started with my first colony last year but with everything that was going on I never managed to source any bees.

I’ve been documenting my journey into beekeeping on YouTube and would really welcome any advice/pointers on my swarm traps. I made a video today showing the traps, how I baited them and where I put them. Here’s the link;

Beekeeping UK #8 (Spring Update & Swarm Traps)

Cheers, Dave

..in that I haven’t got any bees yet! I was hoping to get started with my first colony last year but with everything that was going on I never managed to source any bees.

Hi Dave, I'll be following your exploits. On the video you say you made the traps last year; were you too late to put them out?

Well done traps look fine to me and good job on void. Try and get another couple out it’s a numbers game. Look for suitable spots like a friends house who’s 200yrds from someone’s apiary😂 Your hive on the stand make sure mesh floor is closed off, if your using 1 and maybe create that void if you get the chance. Ian

Beebe, I got the swarm traps out in early June last year but I couldn’t get hold of any old comb to put in them until July. I did get a few scout bees taking an interest at times but never saw a swarm. Really hoping for better results this year!

We're all on the ball this year. It will be great if everyone showing bait hives here can get back later in the year with the results; good luck. :winner1st:

I might make a few more traps and see if I can find anywhere for them. Is it worth having multiple traps in the same area or a waste of time? Mine are all within about 50 metres of each other at the minute. I also heard that it’s important that the entrance faces south which mine all are, but is it worth having any facing in other directions? I’ve got some places in mind but they don’t lend themselves to having the trap facing south....

A swarm - from a local feral colony - took possession of one of my empty hives last year.
The hive was on the ground.
It was in shade all morning .
The entrance faced North..

It did ,however, have two manky brood combs in it.

Back