Too early for a shook swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unbelievable words fail me morrons

Well I shall stick my neck out and email the apiary manager to ask him to remove the video and offer to find him a proper mentor for their group. Any offers?
Anybody else? Feel free, [email protected]

Last edited:
I am still new to all this but from what i know that video clip looks like Frank Spencer has made it, and you may be glad to know i will never ever do a shook swarm,Ever Ever Ever.

It is a valid technique, just poorly applied here.

Just to point out the never say never aspect.
I've heard of a shook swarm being done in Wales in February, successfully i might add. The situation was an emergency, a collapsed abandoned hive, rotten frames and massive varroa load in the grounds of a recently purchased house that owners wanted removed immediately.
That said doing a shook swarm in January or February would almost certainly be better than mid march. Winter bees would be in larger numbers less brood reared to deplete the winter bees condition.

It is a valid technique, just poorly applied here.

I remember an old saying that fits here:
"When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail".
Sometimes the problem really does require a hammer, but, to apply it without thinking creates more problems than it solves.

I remember an old saying that fits here:
"When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail".
Sometimes the problem really does require a hammer, but, to apply it without thinking creates more problems than it solves.

It's hard to judge from a video. But, even is the nosema was so bad you had to take action shaking them into a full size box on foundation seems pretty brutal this time of the year. Not sure why they didn't consider a nuc on drawn comb?

They were all starter strips as well.

what the, they had it opened for over half an hour.
they did it just to control varoa, they admit at the end they will loose the brood
well with that small a colony and everything against them more than likley lost the lot

Well I shall stick my neck out and email the apiary manager to ask him to remove the video and offer to find him a proper mentor for their group. Any offers?
Anybody else? Feel free, [email protected]

I can see that the chap is a member of the BBKA FB page. So he definitely knows the depth of feeling on this. I am in no position to advise anyone about bee wrangling.

what the, they had it opened for over half an hour.
they did it just to control varoa, they admit at the end they will loose the brood
well with that small a colony and everything against them more than likley lost the lot

I watched the nosema video and didn't see the OP one, now watching it I can see why people are questioning the sanity of it.

Utter idiots. Likely any are members of this forum? They'll be on here shortly advising all and sundry.

Likely lose the queen before she is released if it comes cold, shaking bees back into the bottom box instead of transferring, not checking for the queen on that shallow (might just as well have just shook all the bees in!), a full box of emptiness - great for a small colony - with only small strips of foundation, no dummy boards or side insulation, and lots more. No foodveither? (Or was that a feeder on the crownboard?).

A shook swarm should take about 5 minutes for the actual transfer... Nobody should be treating their only colony, or any colony, like that.

Everyone needs to go back and be sure they have at least given it a "thumbs down". I just did. Score was only 22 dislkes to 2 likes.

Utter idiots.

crikey!

I always tell novices the same thing, read as much as you can, watch as much as you can, but you MUST have the BS filter on. then digest the information and do what is right and appropriate for YOUR bees.
I do frequent the BBKA FB page and find it so frustrating when any new Beekeeper or potential Beekeeper is put off by droves of people saying you mustn't get Bees until you have attended a course and have a Mentor, I've no doubt there are some good Mentors out there but I've seen and heard so many stupid things being taught by Mentors to New comers to the Hobby, just as this video demonstrates.
some of the YouTube videos are interesting but full of independent individuals opinions and beliefs which aren't true or aren't applicable to other circumstances.
I watched one very well known You Tubers videos the other day where, when performing a cut out from a house stated 'These are Italians' then got stung so changed his mind and said 'must be Russians' later in the video he ate some of the Honey and declared that he was right because it 'Tastes like Russian Honey' really!

trouble is its a case of Monkey see, Monkey do!

crikey!
[..] I've no doubt there are some good Mentors out there but I've seen and heard so many stupid things being taught by Mentors to New comers to the Hobby, just as this video demonstrates.[..]

This was my experience for the first few seasons when I started. I did my beginners course and then kept my bees on a club out apiary. Keeping the bees was less stressful than the most vocal 'old hands' poking around my hives and what felt like interviewing me every time I was at the site the same time as them.

My third season is dawned on me that the 'experts' actually had pretty poor colonies, so I spent more time talking to folks who had nice strong colonies - then moved my bees from the site.

It may be shallow but I now judge anyone who gives me advice on what their bees look like rather than what they say.

Latest posts

Back