Too early for a shook swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most sad story I have ever seen.
Three Wise Men...

Look how beautiful brood pattern, as they said...
And all frames very new...

Wintered bees have put all their energy to rear those brood. Are they able to rear new. I doupt about that. It takes 4 weeks that the colony gets new workers and wintered bees are very weak to live so long.

Last edited:
They have just killed all their new nurse bees that were just starting to rear the replacement spring bees, so, no nurse bees in the colony for at least another 21 days, if they build comb straight away. This make me like OMG, sometimes!
He didnt mention about the phoretic mites that he's just shaken back in to the new box. no talk of treating those.
The Comb was hardly old, well i would say that was no more than a year old infact the narrator said its a swarm that "didnt draw out all the combs last year". so why change the combs anyway. surely not for mite treatment??
\and does the date say 17 march 2017, well theres me thinking it was still virtually winter!!
I try and be positive and help out and give advice but its difficult when you see people making such huge blunders and expecting to be up for the next oscars!
Like Finny says, 3 wise men!!! NOT

Who are these people? Does anyone recognise them?

Their faceache page states that Ian, the apiary manager is the apiary manager for BeeEducated.co.uk which is in Wilmslow, Cheshire.....

So not too far from alldigging then.....

Last edited:
These are the guys who are going to bee selling mated queens in April

There is so much wrong with this video I don't know where to start. the worst thing is that this video is out there being watched by new beekeepers who think that what they have just viewed is the correct thing to do. They are doing it at the wrong time of the year, with a very small colony and they have just put its development back by a month or so.
Someone should tell these people to get some expert advice and go back and read some books.

Their faceache page states that Ian, the apiary manager is the apiary manager for BeeEducated.co.uk which is in Wilmslow, Cheshire.....

So not too far from alldigging then.....

Nothing to do with me though!

The second video looks like Paralyses virus (CBPV), plus lack of food and queen.

I placed a comment on the first you tube film where they carry out the shook swarm procedure and I've been told i completely missed the point, Mmmmmmm really have i, i am happy to let this guy carry on digging a nice hole, right in to Dante himself!

A poor show all round. Such a small colony too. I see newish kit and keepers, but surely the 'tutor' should know better.
It seems the keepers need a shaking rather than the bees.

Last edited:
I placed a comment on the first you tube film where they carry out the shook swarm procedure and I've been told i completely missed the point, Mmmmmmm really have i, i am happy to let this guy carry on digging a nice hole, right in to Dante himself!

I would not bother trying to help them from some of the comments made towards you which where totally uncalled for, you know what you are on about just let them think they know what they are doing, it will be there loss at the end of the day.

I would not bother trying to help them from some of the comments made towards you which where totally uncalled for, you know what you are on about just let them think they know what they are doing, it will be there loss at the end of the day.

Thank you Millet, i have remained polite, as always and pointed out that were all in this together and he had made defamatory comments about me, even though he knows nothing about me ( not that i give a monkeys), fine. Like you say he's just better left alone to wallow in their own self importance.

This is the worse type of beekeeper, follows everything by the "apparent book", dosent have the ability to interpret what the literature actually means, because,
If you read further down the comments by another of his support staff, i think the quote goes, "well i am so glad we did it in accordance with the NBU" This i find astonishing.

I am sure the NBU will have somewhere a note that says something like , this is all of course advisory, nothing is in stone, variations occur do to temperature, locality and state of the colony.
I am just lost for words! oh well, so be it!!

Last edited:
A couple of snippets from their website.

Learn how to keep bees!
FREE BEEKEEPER TRAINING FOR ALL MEMBERS!

Starting from January 2017, BeeEducated will be running its second, beekeeper training course, which will be available for members! The course has been designed to give members an in depth guide to beekeeping, through online theory and practical training by a qualified Tutor, who has experience of beekeeping.Collecting a Honeybee swarm in Wilmslow

Designed and delivered by our Apiary Manager, the training will give all participants sufficient knowledge, so they can keep honey bees themselves the following year!

Supported by the people’s postcode lottery
We are proud to announce that the players of the postcode lottery and awarded us with a grant of £1900.00, this will allow us to increase the number of honey bee colonies in the area. Our group is thankful for your kind generosity.

Manchester Airport community fund
we are excited to announce we have been awarded a second grant of £2797 from Manchester Airports community fund. This will enable us to continue teaching beekeeping and increasing the number of colones in the area. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back