Todays Noob question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dscanlan81

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I understand why there are plenty of drones and drone cells at the beginning of the season but its now mid season, my hive has swarmed and so now i have 2 hives. So why is one still laying drone cells?

Just because queen has swarmed doesn't mean bees don't want insurance in case the queen starts to fail; or being a good season they might think it's worth trying to swarm again later in the season. Either way they would want drones.
It's nothing to worry about unless all you've got is drone brood.

The most important thing for any organism is to pass on their genes to the next generation.

Think about it. If they don't do that their particular gene line becomes extinct.

No different with bees? How else can the colony pass on it's genes. Answer that question and you will be able to answer your question in the OP.

The drones are needed for all the hives in the area not just yours..... So they will produce them until the end of the season!
E

It could be that there is only drone sized cells to lay in, cut out the drones and see if they are replaced with worker cells. If you see drones being capped in worker cells then that is a different barrel of worms, or larva.

Mike.

Latest posts

Back