Tobacco smoke

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crazy setistics.. And why have less privileged country's been able to keep on top of it more... Because alot of the UK are selfish ignorant xxckers.
My friend sent me videos of where he lives down in London, partys going on over New year fireworks being set of with folk not giving a xxit about the situation.. Its not surprising really.

Lockdown now three of my guys are now furloughed and the clients we are working for on a three month project don't want us on site as they are shielding there parents..
Im having to start else where on a project but now the weather is crap..

It could be worse I could be worm food.. 10 weeks now not smoking.
Well done on the smoking! It took me many years to give it up. The first time I seriously tried was in about '86. My wife at the time, likened my withdrawal symptoms to heroin addicts that she had come across as a nurse! I had sweats, shakes and couldn't sleep. When I did sleep, I had terrible nightmares!
My eventual 'road to salvation' came from switching to the new vaping system when it first came out. I went from 25ml nicotine strength down to 5ml within the first year. A few years later I woke up one morning and thought 'why bother with this anymore?'
I had a drag on a cigarette a few years ago at a party and thought I was going to die on the spot. As with many ex smokers, I cannot stand the smell of 'fags' anymore, but am very partial to cigar and pipe smoke, which is a bit worrying! :sifone: :rolleyes:

Th
Well done on the smoking! It took me many years to give it up. The first time I seriously tried was in about '86. My wife at the time, likened my withdrawal symptoms to heroin addicts that she had come across as a nurse! I had sweats, shakes and couldn't sleep. When I did sleep, I had terrible nightmares!
My eventual 'road to salvation' came from switching to the new vaping system when it first came out. I went from 25ml nicotine strength down to 5ml within the first year. A few years later I woke up one morning and thought 'why bother with this anymore?'
I had a drag on a cigarette a few years ago at a party and thought I was going to die on the spot. As with many ex smokers, I cannot stand the smell of 'fags' anymore, but am very partial to cigar and pipe smoke, which is a bit worrying! :sifone: :rolleyes:
all sounds very normal to me, once a smoker always a smoker. I still periodically enjoy the whiff of anothers cigar.

I managed finally to stop by adhesion to a centre for drug addicts. 12 years on and I still love the filthy smell of cigarette smoke in the street.
Any thought on things that would be good for stress relief.
When stressed I would go and smoke now its a case of eating which isn't really good, ill end up being huge.

I've had a few suggestions, I'm furloughed now as well so I'm at home more, good in some ways as I can concentrate on bees more, and unschooling the children.

I stopped when the wrong government were elected and I refused to help with extra tax donations! Started at 14, went to 20 a day..for 10 years, and stopped in one day. Bloody minded woman here.. you need to chew on something to keep mouth occupied..slice up raw celery, carrot, beans. (I know you aint a rabbit, but it works). Nibbling on that sort of stuff stops the weight gain.

Re post no 4, I've forgotten exactly what Braula tunnellings look like. Is it anything like this?DSCF3447.JPG

Any thought on things that would be good for stress relief.
When stressed I would go and smoke now its a case of eating which isn't really good, ill end up being huge.

I've had a few suggestions, I'm furloughed now as well so I'm at home more, good in some ways as I can concentrate on bees more, and unschooling the children.
I suggest you try using a mala bead bracelet with simple meditation. - bit like using a roman catholic rosary - its tactile and can occupy the mind and allow you to 'still' your mind, take time out rather like stopping for a fag break. No special beliefs needed though there is plenty written about how when why to use them.

PS. unschooling the children will be really good for them(y)

I suggest you try using a mala bead bracelet with simple meditation. - bit like using a roman catholic rosary - its tactile and can occupy the mind and allow you to 'still' your mind, take time out rather like stopping for a fag break. No special beliefs needed though there is plenty written about how when why to use them.
Or better still a stout elastic band round your wrist which you can ping whenever you feel like reaching for a fag. 😬

PS. unschooling the children will be really good for them(y)
They are in there second year now

When I learned beekeeping in the Netherlands 50 years ago most veils had a little elasticated hole and through it you held a lightweight aluminum pipe in your mouth with a very coarse tobacco that was specially sold for that purpose. But it was a pipe that you had to blow through and then you could aim the smoke quite precisely where you wanted without ever inhaling any. So you had both your hands free. I really missed it when I moved over here.

When I learned beekeeping in the Netherlands 50 years ago most veils had a little elasticated hole and through it you held a lightweight aluminum pipe in your mouth with a very coarse tobacco that was specially sold for that purpose. But it was a pipe that you had to blow through and then you could aim the smoke quite precisely where you wanted without ever inhaling any. So you had both your hands free. I really missed it when I moved over here.

Step forward an inventor/entrepreneur on the forum?

it was a pipe that you had to blow through and then you could aim the smoke quite precisely where you wanted without ever inhaling any. So you had both your hands free. I really missed it when I moved over here.
Step forward an inventor/entrepreneur on the forum?
No need - they are still freely available online and I see them for sale every year at the tradex

Hi Antipodes,

Thanks for posting your pic. The tunnels do look similar.

I treat, albeit occasionally, against varroa, using OxAcid. I've only started seeing this in the last few years, and not for over 20 years before that. The general view over here seems to be that Braula doesn't occur anymore, due to varroa treatments. I'd love to know if anyone else has seen Braula - if that is what this is. Or maybe people don't agree that these pics do show Braula tunnels...???

Hi Antipodes,

Thanks for posting your pic. The tunnels do look similar.

I treat, albeit occasionally, against varroa, using OxAcid. I've only started seeing this in the last few years, and not for over 20 years before that. The general view over here seems to be that Braula doesn't occur anymore, due to varroa treatments. I'd love to know if anyone else has seen Braula - if that is what this is. Or maybe people don't agree that these pics do show Braula tunnels...???
It looks like it could be, but if I saw the enlargement of the tunnels at the terminal ends, (like in my photo), I'd be more convinced. Some must have survived, surely?

I think I see what you mean about the enlargement of the tunnels at the terminal ends. I zoomed in to my photo and there doesn't seem to be any enlargement to those terminal ends.

I'm sure some must have survived, I just haven't seen it for a very long time. I remember it when I first had bees, over 35 years ago - my mentor pointed it out after having persuaded me to enter a comb of honey in a show!

Latest posts

Back