to wire or be wired it be the qustion

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumber

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have request

would you please tell me your prefered type of foundation. and why you like that type

a. premier wax wired

b. premier unwired

c. standard wired

d. standard unwired

I am making my own hives, it was going to be two to start with, but it's as easy to make five as two, so I shall start with three just to be contrarey.
but the cost of frames and foundation was a bit of a suprise hence the poll.

I am going to order three packages of bee's for as early as he can supply
off of Mick @ easy bee,hopefully April 2010.
from the reading I have done a package of bees is a good a way to start as
a nuc'.

please feel free to say if you think I am wrong, as well as your prefered method of foundation.

cheershttp://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/Smiles/cheers2.gif

Mik

If you are extracting honey (partcularly radially) use wired. .

If you are going to eat wax, don't wire.

Your choice on quality.

Some will say, no frames and no foundation (TBHs).

I spin, so use wired standard. But I am looking at making my own.

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
Hi

I have also seen that Thornes do plastic foundation with a covering of wax. What are the thoughts on this? I think it seems quite good as it will be very tough and the plastic will take alot to damage it......

Nick

Plastic takes a very good flow to get drawn.

Unwired foundation is best used for Cut comb.

Unwired foundation anywhere near an extractor whether tangental or radial will fly apart.

There are very good reasons for using wired foundation, and I used to wire my frames and than add wired foundation so it would withstand heather extraction.

PH

No one wire for fun. If you loose time, in extraction you get it back.

not to use foundation is waste of money.

I tend to order my foundation from maisemo re apairies. never had a problem with it. They make it on site. it always smells fresh and 'waxy'.

I have always used pre-wired foundation although when I started, my beekeeping mentor, Lew, did also use unwired alot. This involves fitting in 4 grommet/cups in the frames, the top ones about a third of the way down and the bottom ones about a third of the way up if you get me. Then place framing wire through the holes, tighten (but not so tight it bends the frame!) and then slip in the unwired foundation.

I used to have hours of fun using an old car battery, 2 leads and then touching the wire to create a current that melted the wax foundation ever so slightly onto the wire.

Older beekeepers swore by it as it seems to make the comb more stable, especially if the bees decide to chew around the outside and the base.

Some old frames I once had didn't have separate bars at the bottom - they just had a groove to slide the foundation in prior to wiring. (they were a right bug*er to clean and re-frame mind)

Of course you could 'go au naturel' and just fix a small starter strip into each frame but, as Finman says, when it comes to extracting, or even manipulating the combs for that matter, be prepared for the comb to collapse !

thanks for your replys

Hi
thanks for your replys so far
I will be wirering the frames useing pre wired or self wired.
your experence in the different method is of great help in disiding which to use
and assemble over the winter months, I have seen vids on the net of the different tecniques used to wire the frames. your personal choices and opinions
will help me.
thanks
Mik

Pete. thanks for early morning reply, who are kbs can you PM me a link ?

Kemble Bee Supplies are KBS, probably the best foundation available in the uk.

Only prob is they don't take card payments over the phone, still believe in cheques which is a shame.

http://www.kemble-bees.com/

PH

thanks for the link have bookmarked it and placed it in
the beekeeping folder for future use

Mik

Latest posts

Back