To wee or not to wee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OXFORDBEE

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
More than 1, numbers seem to go up and down.
A bit bored I picked up a couple of old books and found the following:

Huish; 1819. In his “Instructions for using the Huish hive, from which the combs are extracted without killing the bees”.

It may appear visionary to the incredulous Apiarian, but I can mention a liquid which will induce Bees to take to a hive sooner than all the honey and syrups which can be mentioned, and this is human urine; nor will this appear so improbable as many person regard it, when it is considered that the liquid abounds in sugar and salt, two substances to which the bees testify the greatest partiality. I strenuously recommend every person to sprinkle their hives with it, previously to put the swarm into it, and they will then be convinced of the specific virtue with which the liquid in question is endowed. I can with truth affirm its efficacy.

Huish was quite keen on urine as he mentions it again in his 1820 book The cottages manual for the management of his bees.

If the bees take a dislike to the hive, it is not the odour of the honey of Hybla which will induce them to remain in it; but should the prejudice for the preparation of a hive exist strongly in the mind of any individual. I will recommend a liquid to him, which, singular as it may appear, will be found more gratifying to the Bee, and possessing a greater inducement to it to take possession of the hive, than all the odours, real or artificial, which can be administered and this liquid is human urine; if any thing will induce a swarm to remain in a hive, it is a copious sprinkling of this liquid - it is a cure for almost every distemper of the bees and Hulhen the celebrated German apiarian was right when he said, on a sprinkling of this liquid, that no person had any occasion to apply to an apothecary for a medicine for his bees.

I could understand bees needing amino acids, but sugars in pee? If yours has sugar in it you are likely (but not always) in trouble (with diabetes). There nearly always will be more glucose in nectar than pee (and most definitely more sucrose).

A possible suggestion would be to collect the golden liquid into a dispensing bottle prior to entering the apiary :leaving:

A possible suggestion would be to collect the golden liquid into a dispensing bottle prior to entering the apiary :leaving:

I buy golden liquid from the off license.

Ive noticed the bees choose dog urine over water in our garden all year round. Ive even tried a water station right next to it to no avail. But it’s only ever honey bees that I’ve notice.

Wouldn’t suprise me at all if it’s got a lot to do with various salts. In nature some animals will undertake incredible journeys on mass for salts. If there normal territory is devoid of them

No one knows if you try your self, what happens.
Problem is from where you get holy cow's urine .

Back