To shade or not to shade?!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toffeesmum

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I will be creating a new out-apiary next Spring.

Site info is... very large site which would accommodate numerous hives in terms of foraging availability and space. No other hives will share site with me. I only plan to place two hives initially and see how things progress. The site is secure.

Just outside and south of the designated area there is a single, mature oak tree. Other than this one tree, the rest of the surrounding area is flat arable fields.

I have total decision on where I wish to place the hives, so would you...

(a) locate them in full sun
(b) place them north of the oak tree, which will provide dappled shade during the summer, but enjoy the sun in the winter when the leaves have gone?

Its ONLY shade I would gain as the tree is outside of the secured area, so the hives would not be under any branches, whatsoever!

Thank you in advance.

Full sun for the bees but a bit of dappled shade for the beekeeper inspecting is nice.

Set my new site up in full sun last year the two hives I placed there did very well indeedy.

I would place them towards the north-east of the tree in order that they receive full sun during the early morning, but benefit from some shading during the hottest part of the day, as well as possibly gaining some protection from prevailing south-westerly winds.
LJ

Unless you are expecting Global Warming is going to regularly give us summers with 30C+ days on end, full sun and facing south..

We just don't get enough hot summer days north of Watford to worry...

Sun in the morning, sun in the evening, shade at midday! Works for me! Not that they care!
It is amazing how early the ones facing the morning sun start flying though. They get a good hours start on the others!
Oh.....and all your swarms are going into your oak tree!!! :)
E

Last edited:
:iagree: with Enrico. Absconding always a risk if they can't control the temperature if in full midday summer sun. Couple of hours sun in winter is worth try to ensure.

Good point by Enrico about the Oak tree - maybe prune some of the lowest branches and anoint with 'swarm lure' in season?

I suggest you place the hives with entrances facing E.

(b) place them north of the oak tree, which will provide dappled shade during the summer, but enjoy the sun in the winter when the leaves have gone?
You will most likely be inspecting during midday hours and it is much easier to inspect brood combs with sun shining over your shoulder. I have some hives in dappled shade and I find myself sometimes carrying brood comb out into full sunlight to aid inspection, especially if searching for new queen coming into lay. But then, maybe your eyesight is much better than mine!.

P F

My hives are in full sun facing SE. At the moment I do not have a site with any shade and little shelter. When in Cyprus and Greece all the hives are in full sun and in the open, with the higher temps there seems to be no problem. I hope to have a site near some OSR for next season and I am expecting the site to be on the edge of a wood.

Beehives love calm, hot sites. They are not nice to nurse hives, but they give best yields during hot weathers.

I have had hives in half shady and windy plases and build up have stopped sometimes like agaist wall.

Mostly weather is too cool to make inspections and sunshine is then needed to open hives.

Last edited:
I went on holiday to Kefalonia a few years ago. I saw quite a few beehives dotted all over the island on the hillsides in full sun all season.

Partial shade for me.
As an aside, I saw my only wiwer goch (red squirrel) between pumsaint and rhandirmwyn, and there's a good bit of heather on them there tops.

Mine get morning sun then shade from about 11am to 2pm then full sun untill about 4.30 pm , i see a marked difference in the amount of bees flying when the sun is on them.

Also think full sun. My hives that also get the early morning sun are up and at it an hour to an hour half before the others that are in shade.

Latest posts

Back