to many supers i think

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slider955i

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
another question for you all , a few weeks ago my 1st super filled up nicely , stuck another super in and they started on that nicely.

the problem i think is that i stuck a third super on and this seems to have slowed evrything up , original super is now nearly all capped which is great and i am leaving that at the top , the other two supers are relatively bare with about 6 / 7 each of the frames in each super being used in the middle of each

question is do i leave 3 supers on now or reduce to two and fill second with all the frames that are being used ,
just worried i have got to excited and given them more space than they need .:cheers2:

also got stung for the 1st time on my little finger ,right on the joint :eek:

I removed any that haven`t been drawn or filled and consolidated them down a bit to give them less to do.
My flow stopped abruptly about three weeks ago when the drizzle set in so i`ll probably remove any honey in the next few days. Don`t take my advice though as i seem to be making a lot of it up as i go :)

Darren

Flow is likely to be main factor in rate of storing honey. I would be removing a super and leaving on the best of the frames being used in those supers. Any with a small amount of stores could be put under the brood and they will move it up. Could easily be replaced, if required, later.

Often can't tell until the flow reduces - could be forage type or weather related.

As regards the sting - It's bound to happen, sooner or later if you keep bees for long enough!

Regards, RAB

Back