to make creamed honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
http://www.masterbeekeeper.org/dyce/creamhoney.htm

To make that happen we need a cool place in summer.

One tool is a freezer. Put there a timer which cut electrict that
honey in the freezer is 17C / 60F

When we talk about coarse rape honey. it should be handled fine crystal before hardening. When it is hardened, you may rise its tempereture and make it soft. you need not melt it, just soft that you may can it or mix with another honey blossom variety to get better aroma.

So it is better to handle them in 20-30 kg containers before final canning.

We have much fireweed honey. As pure it does not crystallize. When I mix it with rape honey, it will have good texture and aroma.

Last edited:
I am not satified with the method where I put fine crystal semen into honey, mix it and can. The result is fortune. Every year the quality of honey varies and it is not sure how it will crystallize.

However the following method has been succesfull. I have 200 litres/ 350 kg steel containers.
I fill them and handle honey to fine crystall. Then I put the container in heating closet which heat it one week in 35C. When I can the honey, it comes out quickly. It melt back a little and when it crystallize finally again in jars, it will be like margaring.

I have had troubles with crystallisation in warm house in summer, but my fried told that he put the honey first into freezer, where it get crystals soon and in controlled conditions. Honey is in 20 litre buckets. Then he can the honey along the year according selling.

I have yet something to do with my honey quality.

Leave nothing to fortune...

The tried and tested method I used was taught to me by a person who retails into 40+ countries.

Liquefy the honey. Let it cool and seed with a fine crystal honey.

Allow to set. It will go like concrete.

Warm to just mobile stage and mix thoroughly, I used a pump for this. Then either bottle at this point or return it to containers and it is ready to bottle again at mobile temperature.

This works.

PH

Finmam

do you intend to grind the seed stock and if you do
how will you grind the seed stock.(the finer the grind the better the texture ?)

Why grind and if ground do you actually have crystals at all?

The more I think of this the more issues I can foresee.

Find a fine grained honey, seed the first batch and keep some back from each lot for the next.

PH

When you put honey into fridge, it start to crystallize.
If you have fine grained honey even one jar, it works as seed.

You stir the honey when it crystallize more. So adding the volume and putting 10% crystallized honey, you get a good start.

With stirring crystals devide to more cores.

It does not help if you grind coarse honey.

If you have not any crystallized honey, you may bye it.

Last edited:
I've just bought a pestle and mortar and ground up a pound of very coarse set honey as I didn't have any fine set. It took quite a time as you could only do a small bit at a time. I then added this to 4 pounds of liquified honey from the same batch and stirred it in. Just 24 hours later the whole lot had set to a very fine texture and will be used to seed a 30 pound bucket - making sure this time I keep some back for the next batch!

I guess you could get the same effect buying powdered glucose powder and using that as a seed but the trading standards would have something to say assuming they had a way of detecting it! An industrial method I have heard of is to freeze dry some honey and then finely grind the residue. It would achieve the same effect.

Leave nothing to fortune...

The tried and tested method I used was taught to me by a person who retails into 40+ countries.

Liquefy the honey. Let it cool and seed with a fine crystal honey.

Allow to set. It will go like concrete.

Warm to just mobile stage and mix thoroughly, I used a pump for this. Then either bottle at this point or return it to containers and it is ready to bottle again at mobile temperature.

This works.

PH

I found this to be true but I still dont understand why the second warming stops it resetting like concrete again? why does this happen.

Latest posts

Back