To leave or not to leave

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Compostcritter

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
We lost a swarm of bees six weeks a go. I have noticed today a lot if activity in a derilict caravan in an unused field the other side of our hedge. As they will now be quite established and I currently do not have any brood boxes available I have to make a decision. Buy another bb and rehouse, give away the swarm, leave to become a feral colony, or leave and capture later in the year and merge with any weak colonies. What would you do? Decisions decisions!

Speak to the land / caravan owner first, see what they think? They may like them there, if not there is still time in the season to do a cut out and re-home.

Chris

derilict caravan in an unused field the other side of our hedge

If it does happen to be your queen that has taken up residence, they are clearly already feral!

There are lots of unanswered questions which could be asked, but clearly you do not have to make a hurried/urgent decision - if one choice is to leave them until later on in the year.

It is your choice. Just make it at leisure, but first check out whether removing them is a satisfactory, or even legal, option. One would hope your thread is not for justification or backing for tearing up what might not be so derelict (in the eyes of the owner of that caravan) and might not be acceptable to them!

Further, without closer inspection to see how they are located, one cannot really tell how established they may be. Many feral swrms will have had a hard time this season and many will certainly not be so well established and, in fact, many will likely already have perished.

If it were me i would have a quick look.

It could be that its a very easy job. If it involved any messing around with caravan i wouldnt do any thing without talking to the owner first.

But i wouldnt just let them go, they are worth money, if they were yours there is some responiblity even if its just in our own heads, they could become full of nastys which may come back and get your managed hives.

Just my two pennies....

I'm pleased for both of us flemage that you don't live "next door" to me then, I'd be more than a bit unhappy if you came on my land without asking first and then started messing with things...

...as for "nasties", well, says it all really.

Chris

Latest posts

Back