To keep one amused

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, exactly. And as Hebrew was an oral language, pronunciations changed over the two millennia BCE. (Consider how much English has changed since Chaucer's day, a fraction of the time!)

The language wasn't even a spoken language for the next 2 millennia CE, only being revived in the 19th C as a means of uniting the Jewish diaspora.

But the meaning and what was said didn't change... oral tradition means more than just an incredible memory feat and as it is passed down generationally, any change in parlance gets counteracted. It's not any old person who was trusted with it but a specific group of people within a specific tribe who devoted their lives to passing it down accurately.

The not being spoken for two millenia AD is countered by the fact it was written down by that point and fidelity of texts such as the DSS as mentioned above- they blew the 'what we have got changed over time' argument out of the water.

How much fidelity do you think the works of Plato or the Iliad have?

P. S. Should we start a separate thread for this to keep this one on wordle?

How much fidelity do you think the works of Plato or the Iliad have?
Not a great deal! And I remember in school being very exasperated at the multitudes of variations in the Greek legends!
P. S. Should we start a separate thread for this to keep this one on wordle?
Probably not bother. It would only be you, me and Understanding Bees when he comes back! πŸ˜„

Wordle 221 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I should say; I've found the best word-suggestion webpage, which considers your already known and invalidated letters...ie. I cheated. But I think you get a feel for the sort of word that gets chosen and there is still a certain amount of luck and judgement.

I'm not going to credit the source of this information because it would take you to the "cheat" page:

"How Did Wordle Get So Popular?

Wordle was first envisioned in 2020 by Josh Wardle, a Brooklyn-based software engineer. He created the game as a way to keep himself sharp during quarantine, and as a gift for his partner, Palak Shah, who loves word games. The two played the game amongst themselves for many months before they shared it in a family WhatsApp group, where it quickly became popular. Their family’s interest inspired Wardle to release the game to a global audience in November of 2021, where it has quickly become an internet favorite.

Perhaps the biggest puzzling game phenomenon since Sudoku in the early 2000s, Wordle’s user base has skyrocketed from only 90 players a day when the game was first released to over two million daily players today. Wardle attributes the game’s popularity to its simple interface and lack of monetization options, he told The New York Times. β€œI think people appreciate that there’s this little thing online that’s just fun,” Wardle said. β€œIt’s not trying to do anything shady with your data or eyeball.” He added that the game’s once-a-day nature – he releases one puzzle each morning, and players must wait until the following day to return for another round – is likely also appealing, saying, β€œIt’s something that encourages you to spend three minutes a day, and that’s it.”

Since it’s release, the game has been covered by such major media news outlets as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and The Guardian. Currently, Wordle has a basis of around 2,500 widely-recognizable English language words in it’s repertoire, meaning there are almost seven years of content at the ready. After that, it’s unclear what the future of Wordle will look like, with Wardle saying he isn’t sure if he wants to expand the game in any way. β€œIt’s not my full-time job and I don’t want it to become a source of stress and anxiety in my life,” he told The Guardian."

Really struggled
Wordle 221 5/6

⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟨
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

4 again
Wordle 222 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩