To keep one amused

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there must be a really good way of choosing the first word.

One could presumably analyse the letter frequencies of all English five-letter words and then try to create a starting word from the most common letters, but there may be other factors worth considering too, such as some letters being more common at certain positions in the words. That might give you a good chance of getting lots of letters to play with early on.

In fact, I bet someone (probably several someones) has already done this.

James

Make the most of it folks, there is a finite number of 5 letter words and SWMBO tells me they're nearing to using half of them already

There appear to be just over 450 possible answers (at the moment), but there is also a list of "recognised" words that will never be valid answers. Some of the latter could probably be moved to the list of valid answers without getting really obscure, but perhaps not a huge number, so without major changes I think we'll probably run out before the end of the year.

James

There appear to be just over 450 possible answers (at the moment), but there is also a list of "recognised" words that will never be valid answers. Some of the latter could probably be moved to the list of valid answers without getting really obscure, but perhaps not a huge number, so without major changes I think we'll probably run out before the end of the year.

James

.....that won't be the end of the Wordle. ;)

Seemly there are 12,972 possible guesses; from that wordle has a list of 2,315 words that have been chosen to be possible answers and seemly omits plural words; so over 6 years if they don't expand the list or start reusing the same words.

Last edited:
Seemly there are 12,972 possible guesses; from that wordle has a list of 2,315 words that have been chosen to be possible answers and seemly omits plural words; so over 6 years if they don't expand the list or start reusing the same words.

So it does. The code I was looking at was only a few weeks old as far as I'm aware, but clearly it has been updated since.

James

Really made me think this one. Got it in five. Not a promising start ......
Wordle 219 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle 220 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Not a good start again!

Wordle 220 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟨🟩🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
I think the first two tries are absolute guesses, trying the widest range of letters possible. The third one is much more structured and the forth depends on available vocabulary...

I would be pleased if you could explain, by giving examples.

The Hebrew alphabet has no vowels, only consonants, the spoken vowel sounds being marked as dots or lines above/below the text.

During the many early rewritings of the Bible by successive scholars (during which time Hebrew was little spoken and only survived in literature) words were translated and transliterated in varied languages and dialects and meanings were altered. Scholars then argued about which meaning was the ‘true’ word.

If you want examples, Google can find you many. E.g. here.

The name of God being, in itself, one example. YHWH: Does it mean ‘the creator’ or does it mean ‘I AM, or any one of a number of other meanings, argued over to this day by different scholars? And is it even the original name?

I only mentioned it earlier as an aside, regarding whether we could guess words more easily if we had the consonants rather than the vowels. I wouldn’t want to side-track this very pleasant and non-argumentative thread!

Last edited:
The Hebrew alphabet has no vowels, only consonants, the spoken vowel sounds being marked as dots or lines above/below the text.

During the many early rewritings of the Bible by successive scholars (during which time Hebrew was little spoken and only survived in literature) words were translated and transliterated in varied languages and dialects and meanings were altered. Scholars then argued about which meaning was the ‘true’ word.

The name of God being, in itself, one example. YHWH: Does it mean ‘the creator’ or does it mean ‘I AM, or any one of a number of other meanings, argued over to this day by different scholars? And is it even the original name?

I only mentioned it earlier as an aside, regarding whether we could guess words more easily if we had the consonants rather than the vowels. I wouldn’t want to side-track this very pleasant and easy-going thread!

Early rewriting of the Bible- in which time period? For most of it's early history, the Old Testament books were passed on through a very specific oral tradition, not the written word. When it was written down, what is remarkable is that when the Dead Sea Scrolls are compared to surviving modern copies, they are almost identical suggesting fairly high fidelity for the last couple of thousand years at least. New Testament mostly written in Ancient Greek/Aramaic so vowel argument falls down for this.

Agree not something to sidetrack this thread with but am interested...

I only mentioned it earlier as an aside, regarding whether we could guess words more easily if we had the consonants rather than the vowels. I wouldn’t want to side-track this very pleasant and non-argumentative thread!

You're dead right. One wishes, (as I am sure that others do), to keep amused with this trivial thread.

For most of it's early history, the Old Testament books were passed on through a very specific oral tradition, not the written word.
Yes, exactly. And as Hebrew was an oral language, pronunciations changed over the two millennia BCE. (Consider how much English has changed since Chaucer's day, a fraction of the time!)

The language wasn't even a spoken language for the next 2 millennia CE, only being revived in the 19th C as a means of uniting the Jewish diaspora.

Latest posts

Back