To heather or not to heather?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funfly

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I got my first nuc of 5 frames just under 3 weeks ago, they are doing exceptionally well and drawing out more frames and starting to expand.

They are sited in my garden and there seems to be plenty foraging for them.

I am considering taking them up to the heather at the very end of July This would involve a 25 mile car journey.

I am lead to believe that the stress of the journey and working the heather may not be the best thing for a small colony but its also been said that the heather would help to build them up and their stores for the winter.

I am undecided what is the opinion here?

Regards

It's a complete no.

They are not strong enough and the death rate on the heather is VERY high.

Ever seen the webs on a dewy morning?

You would be doing your colony a serious disfavour for the winter.

Further heather honey is high in pollen and is not the best of winter feed for them due to increasing pressure on them to fly and void.

PH

Last edited:
I agree with Poly,the answer is don't do it. Only very very strong colonys are good for this work,and the mortality rate is indeed high.

all my hive sites are within 1 mile of heather......? lol

Don’t see an issue as long as they are in their over-wintering locations by the first frosts - can someone expand on why they see high mortality high.

Cheers

Jez

Thanks for the advice, just keep them at the bottom of the garden this year then, looks like next year before I get any honey then.

Given that the balsam prefers the weather to be wet and warm prior to blooming for maximum flow- ie last year was near perfect in yorkshire- what weather does the heather thrive on thoughout its growing and flowering period?

Latest posts

Back