To Glue Or not to Glue

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonglow

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have searched on past threads,to see if people think it is a good idea to glue frames as well as nail,
One good tip I have picked up, is to glue all joints except one of the holding bars that holds the foundation in at the bottom, this allows you to remove it so that you can put in new foundation if required ,so that overcomes one of my concerns about glueing, but my question is if I decide to glue ,would standard PVA glue be the one to use with a reasonable amount of time to allow it to dry before I put them in the hive, I am using 14 X12 in the brood ,but I am considering glueing the super frames as well

no probs gluing using PVA but as you indicated dont glue the bottom bars or at least one of them. However if you do boil your frames at any later stage this will weaken if not remove the glue.

I glue the side bars to the top bar with PVA. I'm on 14x12 so even more paranoid.

I too glue all my top bars to the side bars easiest way is to line them all out first then dob glue on each one in a long line.

On second thoughts the easiest way is.......

Get the girlfriend to do it :biggrinjester:

Hi

I don't bother gluing, but then again we change out frames on a regular basis, so I don't think it's needed.

On the other hand if you have the time it won't do any harm.

Regards Ian

To Glue or not to glue

I think as most have said, it does not take much to add a blob of glue (now that I know what type to use ) so I will glue my frames from now on
Thanks for the help

To glue or not to glue?

Started with glue; don't now.

I have even stapled together frames and bashed the spare legs flat - easier to remove when cooked up in caustic. Latest batch are nailed with 25mm nails. I just look for the easiest way to keep them together while being able to recycle easily.

For the beginners - nail the bottom bars through the bar into the side, not through the side bar first. Well, not unless you don't intend to recycle them.

I'm with Ian on this one.

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
Think it depends on how much time you have and how many you have to put together. If you have a couple of hundred or more you may well give up glueing as you go along. Nailing frames together is one of my not so favourite jobs lol

Never glue frames,never have,never had any problems with them.

Reason I glue is my broods (Heather honey) often went through the extractor and the stress on the larger frame led me to gluing up as a matter of routine.

I suppose now it makes no odds but it seems a good habit.

PH

Frames need no glue, but now i started to pre fix parts with polyurethane glue. It is fast to harden. Then i nail them with electrict nailer.

In nearly 40 years of beekeeping I've never glued a single frame - never had one fail yet even after repeated sanitisation using glacial acetic acid- just can,t see the need or justification.Propolis does an excellent job of glueing anyway.

Latest posts

Back