To Bee or not to Bee?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Bad reaction to sting from SWMBO rushed to hospital for treatment kept in for 24 hours! She insists not a problem - duh think it might be - Neighbour came forward and stated she was hospitalised last year as a result of bee sting in garden but wouldn't complain. Regardless of what she says SWMBO is now nervous of the bees (one hive swarmed this morning). So what to do - move bees to out apiary? Obviously they should not stay here in the garden but not sure I want to attend an out apiary either. Reduce number of colonies? This is the point of the post, what is likely to be the result of downsizing to say two colonies will this reduce 'nuisance' level or not. If anyone has experienced this and taken a path that has worked then I would appreciate your views and experiences, I don't really want to be getting rid of the hives. Next question would be if I cease use of some hives do I keep the WBC or the Nationals, the WBC's of course they are prettier.

Interesting a neighbour comes forward now. Pinches of salt for that perhaps, but your immediate concern should be ensuring you stay married.

Whether you move the bees to an out apiary is up to you, but reducing the numbers might help. As might putting up netting to keep the bees flying up and away from neighbours and the wife.

Hi ratcatcher - the site is three acres and the apiary is in the top left corner surrounded by either hedging or open fencing on three sides, the other side is open to the fields and not a house in site. Pic of apiary with only the WBC's in attached, further pics of the grounds can be seen at under the page 'gardens'.
Does begin to look like sale time soon though.

lovely looking gardens, I'd be inclined to split the hives up, so you don't have a mass of bees in one area, as I've found once they are away from the apiary area foraging, they are less stingy, although it would take you a bit of time to move them, could you not place individually in areas/corners, still facing the boundary and/or high hedging, windbreaks to get them up and above head height?

Nice idea and may be worth looking at more closely actually, main concern we are open to the public as you may have noticed. The bees are currently in an area not open to the public but of course there is not an area that is not open to the bees! Not sure they would take any notice of signage anyway. There is an area down by the chicken runs that may lend itself to a hive or two although it is in woodland and therefore may not be as suited to the bees.

There has to be a good place for them in 3 acres away from neighbours.

Else I'll have to update that lottery wish list to 15.. no wait, 25, not wait 200...

Obviously they should not stay here in the garden but not sure I want to attend an out apiary either

Not many other alternatives, then? I can count it on one finger!

Really sorry to hear about your wife's hospital trip.

I keep my bees at the top of our two acre garden. Husband is not allowed within 40 ft of the hives in case of stings. Some of my bees are unpleasantly aggressive and so I will requeen. Netting helps. I think reducing the numbers will also help considerably.
Cazza

Hi Cazza how are you? yes you are quite correct but when open to the public as we are it becomes more of an issue, i think Oliver was correct only one true option - shoot wife! i think we will be appearing in For Sale by this time tomorrow............may keep two and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back