To add a super for more room or leave them allone

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
a quick query regarding our small colony a late cast from a colony in the garage roof seems to be doing well, they are busy and have pritty much filled there brood box, should we put a super on top to give them some more room or at this point in the year just leave them allone

a quick query regarding our small colony a late cast from a colony in the garage roof seems to be doing well, they are busy and have pritty much filled there brood box, should we put a super on top to give them some more room or at this point in the year just leave them allone
What does " pretty much filled the brood box" mean?
Are all the frames drawn? How many frames of brood? How many frames of bees. Are they filling whole brood frames with stores?
More info will result in more accurate advice. Remember I cannot see your bees

What does " pretty much filled the brood box" mean?
Are all the frames drawn? How many frames of brood? How many frames of bees. Are they filling whole brood frames with stores?
More info will result in more accurate advice. Remember I cannot see your bees

lost the internet for a few days here, thanks for your reply i'm still trying to get a feel for the terms bee keeprs use, computers, cnc machenes, engine managment and cluter like that i'm upto speed with not so much bees.

all bar 2 frames fully drawn, whats a frame of bees ? theres bees on every frame but id say a 4 or 5 have a lot of bees on, 2 frames are mostly brood but theres brood on most frames but increasing amount of stores as they go outwards ?

dose this help ?

A general rule of thumb is to super when you have 7 frames full of brood both sides. My bees are backfilling the brood nest ( filling empty cells, as bees emerge, with nectar) in preparation for winter. So I wouldn’t super.

Latest posts

Back