Tips for new beeks

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jignog

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

I have written an article on a blog which is about tips we have all picked up during our beekeeping experiences that we could pass onto new beekeepers. Some of these tips are not covered much in the books we have suggested to us.
Give it a scan over and comment on the article and I can update it with new content.

Many thanks

EDIT from moderator. Your link points to your shop and advertising is not allowed. Please join in tips by all means but post them in the thread. Thank you.

Check your zips BEFORE approaching the bees.

Keep the sun behind you.

Bees can and do move a lot faster than you think possible.

Learn to keep your hive tool in your hand as well as the frame.

And the tip to be calm and confident is sorry to say a bit useless. That comes with experience.

PH

Good tips, especially with the zips.

Could you post any of the tips from the article on this thread? Would be really interested to see them as I'm learning myself at the moment

Poly Hive;705857 said:
Check your zips BEFORE approaching the bees.

Excellent point PH.
Something I should have done yesterday - I went through 3 before I realised there were bees crawling inside my veil!

Don’t worry about a bee or 3 on your hands they are just checking you out start flapping and they might not be so happy to see you!

This thread probably exists but I thought I would start another one.

1 never inspect a colony when they are oriantating.

2 don't wear leather gloves that have bee venom on.

3 get some one else to move heavy supers for you.

The list is endless feel free to add more Cheers.

Curly green finger's;716795 said:
never inspect a colony when they are oriantating.

Erichalfbee;716822 said:

Curly green finger's;716831 said:
Try it and see! Lol
On a more serious note!
You will get a face full of bee's.

Half the colony will be very very unstable on the frames.

Do it often, can't afford to wait for them to stop orientating (which they seem to do often) and never had a problem - why would they be unstable on the frames?

jenkinsbrynmair;716836 said:
Do it often, can't afford to wait for them to stop orientating (which they seem to do often) and never had a problem - why would they be unstable on the frames?
I've got videos through a clear crown board of when there oriantating and one half of the colony are running all over the frames.

In my first year I inspected a colony that was oriantating and my above posts /replys were what happened..
Would you suggest a new bee does inspect a colony while oriantating then? I'll post one of the videos in a mo.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10219764417714098&id=1028434284

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

jenkinsbrynmair;716836 said:

:iagree:
Stability on the comb is a genetic tendency related to a nervous disposition which can be selected out.
If you have a number of colonies in an apiary, at least one will have bees performing orientation flights so you can't wait indefinitely.

In terms of what advice I'd offer to a new beekeeper: Always have a spare hive tool. The number of times I've left my hive-tool ontop of a hive at the other side of the apiary (or even in a different apiary) is so time-consuming.

B+.;716845 said:
:iagree:

Stability on the comb is a genetic tendency related to a nervous disposition which can be selected out.

If you have a number of colonies in an apiary, at least one will have bees performing orientation flights so you can't wait indefinitely.
But for a new beek that has one or two??

Curly green finger's;716846 said:
But for a new beek that has one or two??

IMHO, that is only a problem because of the way "new beekeepers" get their bees in the UK.
If everyone relies on swarms, that sets the bar for the quality of bees everyone has. If, as happens in countries like Germany, there are proper breeders who propagate good bees, the bar is set that much higher - it's this dependence we have here on the lowest common denominator.

B+.;716848 said:
IMHO, that is only a problem because of the way "new beekeepers" get their bees in the UK.

If everyone relies on swarms, that sets the bar for the quality of bees everyone has. If, as happens in countries like Germany, there are proper breeders who propagate good bees, the bar is set that much higher.
Well here's to rearing some really nice stock in the future [emoji106]

Most 'new beekeepers' buy that 'nucleus headed by 2020 buckfast queen'.
High percentage lose that queen in a matter of weeks, umpteen swarms collected this year with blue spot queens.
Don't blame the bees, the clue is in the name beekeeper and some people aren't.

Latest posts

Back