national
Number of Hives

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
the most frightening thing about this is that it looks like there's some very dirty business afoot - reading between the lines I'd say this is a blatant attempt by the BBKA to try for compulsory registration for all beekeepers, and shortly afterwards, compulsory medication of hives (doubtless using products from one of the companies buying the BBKAs new office curtains)........ I notice they're "knocking" the "illegal" use of oxalic acid, and suggesting that the only problem affecting bees is Varroa.......:)
Far be it from me to suggest "undue influence" but it looks to me like certain people may share certain pastimes of a Thursday evening...... but then the BBKA are on the square, so it couldn't be them! :svengo:

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Perhaps the government is now going to take on the varroa mite,with bavarol, endorsed by the Brittish Bee Killing Association.
How they going to find time to do all this.

Last edited:

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
you are a news reporter and I claim my soapy tenner. :cheers2:
lol thats very funny Taff,The article sounds like someone has been talking to a south African commercial beekeeper in the uk we all know and love as he feels we should all be licenced.

With a register of beekeepers will bee loses each year be less than 30% ?

p.s its very hard to type while holding up one trouser leg with a handkerchief on your head.

jimbeekeeper 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
people may share certain pastimes of a Thursday evening...... :
I get it now! Its Bingo night.:puke::svengo:

I have briefly read the article (and I use the word article loosely), I think it is a dramatic over reaction with many underhand intentions...but there are elements of the truth that not all beekeepers are fully up to speed, but to blame beekeepers is wrong.

Mike101 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Journo--fraid not, just a humble beek.

My concern is big government will use the problems faced by beekeepers as an excuse to park a big trojan horse full of control and regulation right outside my beehives rather than fund proper investigations into causes and hopefully come up with some answers.

mikeyspikey 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Journo--fraid not, just a humble beek.

My concern is big government will use the problems faced by beekeepers as an excuse to park a big trojan horse full of control and regulation right outside my beehives rather than fund proper investigations into causes and hopefully come up with some answers.
You may be correct and if so I would predict a rapid decline in the number of amateur beeks, many retired, who did so to get away from the utter bureucratic c*** they had to deal with in their working lives.

Chris B 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
What an atrocious article! Written by someone who clearly has no idea whatsoever. The worst thing - the notion that if all our bees were inspected by inspectors they would spot anything wrong so the bees would survive the winter. Bee inspectors do a valuable job keeping a lid on foul brood, which is one disease (two sorry) that nobody in their right mind blames for winter losses.

The bizarre thing is, how come a journalist or anyone else for that matter doesn't question the view that the bee population is crashing but the number of beekeepers is rocketing? It doesn't add up.

Chris B 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
With a register of beekeepers will bee loses each year be less than 30% ?
Admin, "yes" is the answer, because the statisticians will present the data in a way that makes it look as good as possible, unlike BBKA stats that are designed to make things look as bad as possible.

There was also another bit in the Times:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article5840974.ece
I didn't know Suggs was a beekeeper but judging by what he writes he ain't got a clue. Unfortunately a perfect example of "bee owner" rather than "bee keeper" adding weight to the argument that beekeeper training is a serious issue. Shame. I think Madness are great.

Bcrazy 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
I have read the report in the 'timesonline' and also the comments by others.
I have skimmed the Bee Health file and there is nothing new in it as all this was discussed and in the media a while ago.

This thread reminds me of not too long ago when everymen and his dog was ranting and raving about the BBKA being in bed with Bayer.

Now there?s something different to rant and rave about.

So what?s the outcome you members would like to see? As yet no one has mentioned what they perceive the way forward is.

The unfortunate outcome of all this is we as beekeepers will carry on as normal using IPM as part of our skills to reduce disease and some student clamouring for a Ph. D will be paid money to look into disease they know nothing about.

Anyway I will leave the sarcastic comments and swear words to those who use them, and become one of the thousands like beekeepers who know it?s no good demonstrating their feelings as it falls on deaf ears. People who make the recommendations? and dish out the money could not care less about bees and beekeepers.

I am entitled to my opinion.

Regards;

Latest posts