Time to feed syrup?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DianeJones

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is my first time with bees in the Spring. I opened my bees for the first time this year today - it's a lovely day here. They are bringing in lots of pollen. I saw the Queen, eggs and larva in all stages. The Queen has lots of room to lay but they only have four frames of stores. I'm so happy that they've survived the winter (I wasn't so lucky last year), but I know that March can turn cold and that can be a problem for them as they have started using up their food stores. I have been feeding them fondant and they are loving it. I have read that if you start feeding syrup now the Queen will increase her laying - as they think there is a flow on, and they could swarm if they don't have enough room.... so my question is, should I carry on feeding fondant, or move onto syrup and add a 1/2 brood?

Thanks
Diane

The first question is how many frames of brood do they have as the spring strength is counted by brood, not seams of bees?

PH

hi Diane - what a good question, I am in exactly the same position, so I'm looking out for any answers you get!
Weather has been lovely in Dorking, and I have watched them bringing in pollen, and what seem to be new workers doing orienting flights in front of the hive. But with temperatures only around 11 C I haven't opened them up yet, thought I would wait until it gets up to around 13C, regards Andy

Thanks PH, I didn't have a good count up as I didn't want to chill the brood, but at a guess only 2 or 3 frames. She does have lots of room to lay.

Andy, I'm just down the road from you in Epsom. They are in a sun trap so I though I would have a quick look :)

Diane

About average then for the time of year.

Pop on some 1:1 syrup, say a pint a week.

PH

Please- if a small colony- use a frame feeder. A little more cost, but a permanent purchase- and small colonies may not go up to a rapid feeder and will still die out from starvation

Latest posts

Back