Time to add frame of eggs/brood?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skydragon

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
At my out apriary one of my new hives has now got a newly mated queen and has now 4 frames of brood/eggs.

The adjacent hive which was from a swarm caught 22 days ago, has drawn out 8 frames of foundation and has stores/pollen, but there is no sign at all of any eggs/brood.

Before this hive reverts to laying workers (as happened to an adjacent Nuc last week) I'm thinking of adding a frame of eggs/brood from the queen-right hive, so they can make a QC.

Question - Do this now, or give it another 4 - 5 days?

Described as a cast swarm?

Less bees than 3 weeks ago so should not too diffiult to find a queen?

Would have come with a queen, so unless lost, which is not that common, she should still be there. I would not be unduly worried for a few more days, but do as you think fit.

Regards, RAB

I would do it now if for no other reason than to put your mind at rest and or get the experience of using a test frame.

PH

Less bees than 3 weeks ago so should not too diffiult to find a queen?
I've looked and also the local bee inspector has looked and neither of us could find a queen (not to say we haven't missed it though).

I would do it now if for no other reason than to put your mind at rest and or get the experience of using a test frame
Ok, will do. This way I cover all bases and learn from the experience as well.

New, unmarked, queens are the devil to find. I've still not managed to spot one of mine, she's clearly there and laying well because we have lots of eggs, larvae and capped (worker) brood, but I haven't see her in three inspections - and one inspection was really thorough, moving all the inspected frames into a different brood box

Test frame good, especially if you have it next door.

I've still not managed to spot one of mine, she's clearly there and laying well because we have lots of eggs, larvae and capped (worker) brood, but I haven't see her in three inspections - and one inspection was really thorough, moving all the inspected frames into a different brood box

Test frame good, especially if you have it next door.

How many people stress new colonies looking for the queen, just wondering what it achieves except the chance to mark before the colony gets big? Still not "met" three of ours...dive in gently, pull a frame towards the middle of the box...check for eggs/brood pattern and get right out again.

Test frames are wonderful....do it.

Latest posts

Back