Timber!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickds1

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Being tight, I like to keep my kit going by repairing it as much as possible. I'm mainly on Commercial (with the odd National) brood boxes and a mix of Hoffman & castellated supers... Some of my boxes are getting a bit tatty (the odd woodpecker hasn't helped) and some of my queen excluders are a disgrace :eek:

I'm looking for a retail source of good quality Red Cedar - I have a planer-thicknesser for finishing & reduction but am having problems sourcing decent timber in smaller quantities of roughly the right dimensions...

I'm in Kent, if that helps!

Practical (constructive) suggestions welcome :)

Being tight, I like to keep my kit going by repairing it as much as possible. I'm mainly on Commercial (with the odd National) brood boxes and a mix of Hoffman & castellated supers... Some of my boxes are getting a bit tatty (the odd woodpecker hasn't helped) and some of my queen excluders are a disgrace :eek:

I'm looking for a retail source of good quality Red Cedar - I have a planer-thicknesser for finishing & reduction but am having problems sourcing decent timber in smaller quantities of roughly the right dimensions...

I'm in Kent, if that helps!

Practical (constructive) suggestions welcome :)

No idea of sources in your area, but as a practical suggestion - have you tried getting together with some other local beeks to form a buyers' group and get better prices by purchasing in larger quantities?

No idea of sources in your area, but as a practical suggestion - have you tried getting together with some other local beeks to form a buyers' group and get better prices by purchasing in larger quantities?
Most suppliers I've spoken to have a MOQ around the GBP 500 mark - also, I don't think anyone else in my group does the manufacture/repair bit...

SL Hardwoods in South London have some, but quite pricey and a bit of a trek... very helpful though...

Cant help in your area but had 2 quotes down here in Cornwall. Both for 44mm x 190mm (I use Rose Hives). £18.72 per metre!!!! ie enough for 2 sides of 1 box. 2. £3.77 per metre. Guess the first lot was foreign timber (apparently better) the second local. Unfortunatley the 2nd one didnt ring me back to say when they could cut it so generally use deal from another supplier. Wont last as long but costs next to nothing.

Latest posts

Back