Timber for Langstroth Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianharper68

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi, I am a real New Bee but have always had an admiration for Bees since I was a child. Anyway I am taking up beekeeping and want to try and make my own hives. So due to the simplicity if the Langstroth hive, this is the one I am going with?

My only problem is finding timber that is nearly 10" deep for the brood box? Anybody have any ideas on where to find timber? I have tried all my local timber merchants but he widest they have is 9" or B&Q who have it deeper but it is glued and it is very expensive :(

What about 18mm ply for your first attempt ?

An 8x4 sheet for around £30 from B+Q.

Two pieces, slotted and glued together (with a tongue of ply inserted) is perfectly acceptable, I would think. Alternatively, make your own tongue-and-groove, although I would not recommend that route if you are unaware of the methods available, as in your case.

Regards, RAB

Hivemaker is the only person I know of who uses whole pieces of cedar when building his hives,but then he cuts the trees down and mills them himself to the size he wants.

What about a couple of pieces glued together with a biscuit joint ?

Dont know our location but I am in West London and stock 12"x2" planks of Cedar and can cut it to your requirements if this of any help.

if you are on a tight budget Try Fragile planet for ply hive kits,

The do national type hives if you dont want to cut it your self Less than £50 for the hive, roof and floor etc

much simplernail together butt joints rather than the Cedar hives but still work and means you use standard frames and Nuc of Bees

Langstroth Nucs of bees are harder to find thand natiional Nucs of Bees

Do you have a local sawmills? Much cheaper and if they have the timber you want in stock in 'large form' they will cut it to the width you want. Well the nice ones down here do:.)

Latest posts

Back